Fleas on rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnyeyes

Reaction score
I just got my 5 month old rabbit about a month ago and she caught fleas from my cat :cry1: She is about 4/5 pounds but im not 100% sure. I got revolution for cats 5-15 pounds from the vet because they didnt have for puppies and kittens and i was wondering if it was safe to use on her. IF safe should I apply the whole tube or just half?

Dosage for rabbits is 18mg/kg which is higher than what a cat dose would be for the same weight. You need to weigh your rabbit and calculate the correct dose. Then find out how many ml are in each tube, and I believe the cat revolution has 60mg/ml(though you need to check and make sure this is right). Then figure out how many ml you need to get the total required dose for your rabbit. At 4-5 lbs it would be around a 36mg dose, which would be about 0.6ml of the 60mg/ml solution. You may be able to apply the whole tube or may have to measure out the correct dose into a syringe and apply it from there. Always double check dosage calculations to make sure you have the right dose before applying. I am just sharing the dosage info that I know of and what I would do, but if in doubt contact your vet.

eta: Looking up, the blue tube has 45mg of selemectin? If so, that is about the right dosage, presuming the rabbit weighs 4-5 lbs. So I would apply the whole tube.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/fleas/Fleas.htm

My rabbit weighs 3.5 lbs and the vet gave me a kitten/puppy dose of Revolution, which is probably too little at 15 mg. JBun is right, if the tube is 45 mg then you should use the whole thing. 4.5 lbs is about 2 KG, so your rabbit needs 30-40 mg of selemectin (active ingredient in Revolution).

https://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/aug10/selamectin83010.html

Last edited:
Yup whole tube is fine.
As Jenny stated
18mg/kg. You do not want to underdose.
Revolution is quite safe and should not harm your rabbit even if you accidentally double or triple the dose (Studies were done up to 8 time the dose I believe, cant remember where my paperwork is) That's why there is such a board weight range for the tubes for dogs and cats. But yes Rabbits do need a much stronger dose then dogs and cats.
If the infestation is heavy you can repeat the dosage in 2 weeks.

I inadvertently used a bit much of the Advantage-II for cats on my Holland Lop (she's 4 pounds), and she just ended up sleepy for a few hours. The vet said it was normal, and her dog gets the same way. She was back to her usual self in no time.

Revolution is great. My previous rabbit, Bunny, would ocassionally get fleas even though she was a house rabbit! With supervision, we would let her outside to hop around in the yard...maybe that's were she got fleas. Also, just me and my wife walking in the yard and coming inside could have introduced fleas to her. Since a flea infestation is apparently easy to come by, I now give the two Flemmish babys (4 1/2 months) Revolution treatments.

If for whatever reason Revolution doesn't work in your area (Fleas are immune to it in my area, used for the most part as mite prevention/treatment which it is wonderful at if nothing else) you can use Advantage II for kittens. My 3lb rabbit gets a kitten tube dose for flea prevention. :) I'd double-check with a vet on dosage for your rabbit since it's bigger, if in the future you decide to use Advantage II. The vet I had contact with said kitten dose was fine for my boy's size but yours may need the next-size-up dose.

Latest posts

Back