Fleas and Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LedaHartwood

Reaction score
Okay, so some of you have seen classic Peanuts cartoons, and know the character PigPin. That dirty little kid, with a constant cloud of dirt around him. Well, my boyfriend's dog Minnie is like that. However, I'd be lucky if it was dirt, instead, it's fleas. No matter what I do, she comes into the house and brings in fleas. We keep the lawn short, and have even sprayed it. I try not to do this too much as I can ever find the eco-friend spray. We bathe her, and put front line on her, but Minnie has a head full of fleas. She's like the kid in sixth grade you didn't want to sit next to, but you did, and went home with lice :/ .......

My question is, how badly can flea's affect a rabbit? I know the affects they can have on a cat or dog the goes uncared for. Is it the same, or worse? Luckily the house is not infected, and we keep the rabbits in a no dog/cat room. That and I'm a neat freak, and keep a clean burrow.

Fleas can affect rabbits just as bad as they can affect any other flea-bearing animal. The best thing to do is keep your other pets with fleas away from your bunnies, and check your bunnies regularly for fleas. They can have flea meds. but I'm not sure which brand is save for them. I think it starts with an "R"?? Not sure though. I've never needed to put flea meds. on my rabbits as they don't have fleas.

Emily

revolution (selamectin ) for kittensis safe for rabbits and is used topically

I've used it on the shelter rabbits who come in as strays with fleas.

Thank you. My rabbits do not have fleas, and I do keep the other animal away from them. i just want to be prepared, just incase.

I would like to add that I hope your bun doesn't get the fleas and I've heard that they attract more to dogs and cats than rabbits, thankfully. Also, Advantage can be used, but No Frontline!

Also, you can get a spray for your house if it's needed, called Knockout from your vet. I got it from ours as our cat kept getting fleas. We don't have them visibly in the house though, so that's weird. But, like the vet said, they're host specific, so they'll go to a cat or dog first.:?

Best of luck to you!;)

The fleas in the USA must be different? They are totally strange compared to our fleas, lol!

The first I ever notice of fleas is I'll get bitten myself, then I would see them on a pet. I'd see them in the carpet or bed before on an animal, and if an animal comes in with fleas, then the whole house will be infested with them within weeks.

Advantage always works for me 100%, it kills fleas on the pet and surroundings, but it doesn't seem as effective overseas :?.

NZminilops wrote:
The fleas in the USA must be different? They are totally strange compared to our fleas, lol!

The first I ever notice of fleas is I'll get bitten myself, then I would see them on a pet. I'd see them in the carpet or bed before on an animal, and if an animal comes in with fleas, then the whole house will be infested with them within weeks.

Advantage always works for me 100%, it kills fleas on the pet and surroundings, but it doesn't seem as effective overseas :?.

Fleas, like other insectscan quickly develop resistance strains to poisons. It's likely that overuse of insecticides in the US has contributed to resistant strains of fleas.

Pam

Latest posts

Back