Fleas and mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funnybunnymummy

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Hubby just brought this up the other day and now, reading some of the threads here on fleas and mites,has prompted me to ask: Since Gus spends time outside pretty much every day, is it worth it to treat him with something like Revolution as a preventative measure against fleas and mites, etc.?

Thanks!

Rue

Since you live in Canada you could probably just treat him in the summer months when it's warm. I live in FL and it's never cold enough to kill the little buggers (the fleas). But somewhere up north where the winters are very harsh the flea population has a much harder time surviving. A monthly dose of Revolution couldn't hurt, though.

I don't really know the anwser to that.I really don't know of anyone who uses it every month on a rabbit like you would a dog. Maybe we will get some more responses.

I personallywould feel uncomfortable using it every month. although it is safe for rabbits ( it is still used off-label for them )....they are so delicate.
If your rabbit should gets ticks outside you can do nothing but remove them by hand.

My rabbits don't really get fleas. I think I saw one on Dill once (when I had three cats), but they jump on and jump off for the most part. They're not too fond of rabbits. Although a port in any storm, I guess.

And they stay in the grass until fall, here. September and October seem to be flea months. (Or at least they certainly were when I had dogs). I remember past years when they were really a problem, but not lately, I think we're on a 'down' cycle.

Mites are a different story, but most rabbits will have fur mites, they only tend to get a hold and make themselves known when the rabbit is stressed (physically and mentally).

Ear mites will need treatment, though. Watch out for those ones.

I'd wait for symptoms before treating them. Ivermectin, Revolution and Advantage are very safe, but somebunny somewhere can have a reaction to anything, so even if the risk is one in a thousand, don't take it unless its necessary.

Hope this helps!

(And we still should have a BC bunny party) ;)

sas :bunnydance:

Thanks, guys! Good to know!

Oh, and I suppose to Floridians our winters might seem "very harsh", but aside from a brief snow flurry one afternoon and afew good rain/wind storms, I think thiswinter hasbeen quite mild... :biggrin2:

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Thanks, guys! Good to know!

Oh, and I suppose to Floridians our winters might seem "very harsh", but aside from a brief snow flurry one afternoon and afew good rain/wind storms, I think thiswinter hasbeen quite mild... :biggrin2:

Rue
hi,rue,..i am just south of seattle/kent--january-2010-(for us)-had only a few days below freezing-(night time only)--said to be the first january on record as mild../.last july-one day reached 112*faren.,second highest temp-in all the lower 50 states,,second only to death valley california.-119* faren.//.eratical weather fronts,planet warming,only to lead to another iceage,,the earth is changing,,but faster thanks to industry-co2 emmissions,,china has now surpassed the usa as a leading polluter...east coast is under 8 ft.of snow,,energy usage must be at an all time high,.//.maybe we are in the new bannana belt,,sincerely james waller:wave::rose::pinkbouce:-you can try kitten ear mite med-(pyretherins 0.5%)-,place one drop on the back of the neck,on the skin,,this should help..,,advantage-is best..:bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back