Flannel

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pla725

Reaction score
I just received an email from Mia regarding one the rabbits at PAWS. Seems Flannel delivered one dead baby and has probably more still inside her. Mia, a volunteer at the shelter, is very considered. I advised her to get Flannel to a vet.

Thanks, Paula. I just got an update from another volunteer who was at the shelter this evening. Flannel actually had 4 babies, of whom 3 were stillborn. Flannel and the remaining baby were put back into the bunny room (Flannel had been on display in the adoption office prior to the birth) and her cage covered up with a sheet. The other three bunnies in the room were moved to the opposite side of the room. Flannel was reported to be eating and alert when the volunteer left at 8 pm.

UPenn exotics vets will be at the shelter on Friday for the rabbit spay/neuter surgeries the shelter has scheduled, so we will try to make sure Flannel is seen by them. Tomorrow, a vet can look at her but not a bunny vet.

I am so disgusted by this whole situation, because it arose as a result of Flannel being put into Cinder's cage for no reason at all, by staff, a few weeks back. There were plenty of empty cages and they had been caged seperately and did not even know each other, then one day I went in and they were together. Cinder lost a bunch of fur, and Flannel conceived!

That is ridiculous and totally unecessary.

Seething mad right now. Mia

Ugh! I hate when people do stupid stuff!

I'm glad she's ok tho. I hope the last kit makes it since it's been so bad on her.

*sigh* poor bunnies.

I hope everything goes well for Flannel and her kit. The exotics vets at Penn are great. They are amongst the best in the US. I really would have her checked over by them on Friday. Also have Wendy checked by them for that cough. It may be just the hay but best to have her checked anyway.

I checked on Flannel while I was at the shelter today. She was perky and seemed fine. Her baby was alive and looked okay to my untrained eyes. UPenn vets said that all looked well and to just leave her alone and keep up with her feed and water.

Meanwhile, we found out that Cinder, the rabbit Flannel was mysteriously caged with, couldn't be the father of the baby, because when the UPenn vets came to the shelter to spay/neuter rabbits today, they determined that Cinder was a previously spayed female!

That means that Flannel must have been in contact with yet ANOTHER rabbit for no apparent reason, but we don't know who it was because volunteers didn't witness it.

I'm glad that despite the long chains of human error that she's been subjected to, Flannel seems to be doing well.

Latest posts

Back