Flakey, Itchy Ears.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnysmom

Reaction score
When I first got Bunny, 2 weeks ago, her ears were very flakey and she scratched them a lot. The insides were clean, it was the upper outside of the ears that was itchy &flakey.

About a week ago she got a rather large patch (about an inch) of flakey skin hanging loose on both ears. It was dry, no sores or redness or anything of the sorts. I left it alone, kind of how you would let one of your own scabs fall off.

Well, the large flakes fell off and all of the flakiness is clearing up. She very rarely scratches them any more. Just the normal grooming process of pulling them down and licking them.

Do you think the flakiness could have been caused by her previous diet? So now that she is having a good balanced diet it is clearing up on it's own?

It sounds suspiciously like mites, but not really ina common place for them :?
Ear mites would generaly be inside the ear.
Fur mites usually start out on the nape and/or base of the outside of the ear..I think.
:dunno:

Might be something you'll need to keep and eye on, and see a vet if it gets worse.

~Jim

O.K., will do. Thanks!

I know with my dog, if I don't keep him on a good diet, his skin will become itchy and flakey. I didn't know if the same could happen to rabbits.

It really is all cleared up. No more itching and no more flaking.

My rabbit used to get flakey ears every time she moulted, she never had a problem (we did take her to the vets for a proper diagnosis) and it always cleared up.

Was your bunny moulting?

Also, could it have been a change in humidity between her previous owners and your place? Maybe if she was inside and was put outside, or vice versa, it might have that effect.

I did not know that rabbits molted. I will have to look into that and see if that is what was going on. Thanks!

I am not positive, but I really think that she was an outside rabbit before we got her. Now she lives fat and happy in air conditioner. So, the change in temperature/humidity could also be a real factor.

Whatever it was I am glad it cleared up, she looked like a raggedy little Bunny there for a few days!

I think air conditioned air is drier, is that right? Maybe she was lacking moisture on her skin.

Rabbits generally moult about 4 times a year (I think, and it also depends, I gues, on breed), although 2 or 3 (depending on the weather)are often unnoticed. The biggest and main one comes at the end of the summer and they will lose all their fur whilst growing new fur. It's a very messy business. lol.

They moult because they have different types of fur for different weathers, i.e. thicker in the winter, thinner in the summer, so the moult is them growing more appropriate fur.

It is worth researching because it can be a bit freaky if you don't know what is going on and suddenly clods of your bunnies hair starts falling out.

OMG YES! :shock:

That would so freak me out if she started loosing gobs of hair! I have got to look that up!

Yes, I would say that air conditioner air is drier. She is all clear now, it was flakey and she was itchy...then once all the flakes came off she stopped scratching. She doesn't have much loose hair either. I guess you would say she is short hair, I don't detect much of an undercoat either.

I wonder how molting is affected by regulated temperatures?My house stays around 70-72 all year, because of air conditioner and heat. Now, outside is a different story! Here in Texas it gets around 115 during the summer!

Hmmm...I need to do a little searching about coats and molting.

Latest posts

Back