Fixing an older male rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orions_girl16

Reaction score
Hi there,
I've had my rabbit Orion for 2 years now and he isn't fixed yet, we gothim from some dude who got him from some other guy and so we don't knowhis real age and we are guessing he's between 5-7 years old...Would itstill be ok to get him fixed or would there be some problems? He doesnthave a bad temper or anything like I've heard about rabbits who arentfixed and he doesnt have any problems at all...And i have anotherquestion,after I get back from visiting family in the States,in August I plan on getting another rabbit since some wild dog/wolfthing came and got my other rabbit Kaytie 3 weeks ago...They were bestfriends and absolutly loved eachother..So I want to get him anotherfriend to keep him company since hes so bored w/o another bunnyfriend...so I was wondering which would be better a Male or a Femalewhen we get him fixed? If anyone could answer my questions that'd begreat if not thats ok! Byes!
Take care,
micheLLe

Welcome Orions_girl16! :dude:

Personally, I would hesitate to get Orion fixed at the age of 5-7. Theanesthesia and recovery time could be an issue as he's older.

Bonding is usually best accomplished with male/female or female/female. Male/Male rarely works.

I don't know if you have any animal shelters around you, but one of ourmembers works for a shelter that offers a Bunny Dating Service: Youbring your rabbit into the shelter and one by one, they introduce theirdifferent rabbits to yours in a separate room. The rabbit that getsalong best with the Orion, wins. It's a great way to pick a partner fora rabbit as if you get one without Orion's input, they may not getalong. (Besides, you might be able to get an already spayed female.)

Perhaps you could give Orion a stuffed animal for the time being? Hemight like something to groom and lean up against in dealing with theloss of Kaytie. Some rabbits like them, some don't, but it couldn'thurt.

I'm so sorry your loss of Ms. Kaytie. I'm sure she was A Love, and hada great life with you and Orion. It's so hard to lose them. You neverreally get past missing them. You'll see her again when you time comesand then you'll never have to be without her again.

-Carolyn

P.S. This poem has helped a lot of people feel comforted during this difficult time. http://rainbowsbridge.com/poem.htm

Carolyn wrote:
Welcome Orions_girl16! :dude:

Personally, I would hesitate to get Orion fixed at the age of 5-7. Theanesthesia and recovery time could be an issue as he's older.

I agree!

Pam

Hey thanks for your replies!...yea I figured thatthere would be a higher risk cuz of how old he is, I just wanted to seeif it is possible cuz believe me I am/would be worried if I did get himfixed...So I guess I won't get him fixed and I'll just get a spayedfemale...The reason i asked was because when we got Kaytie she wasn'tfixed and so we never let them out together and we felt horrible cuzthey loved eachother so much so we got her fixed and Orion just didn'tget the hint sometimes while other times they would just snuggle and noproblems. So we were thinking that since we had her for so long notfixed that maybe that was why Orion just wouldn't get the hint to stopand that he can't do that no more. So I guess we'll just have to see ifthat was it in the next couple monthes..Anyways, thanks for yourreplies!
Oh and for Elf Mommy theres a pic. of Orion at the bottom of my post, Inamed him it cuz he's all black and he has a few white hairs here andthere that you can't see, so they reminded my of the stars!That's coolthat your son's name is Orion also lol! Take care!
micheLLe

I wouldn't put him through the stress if you think that he could be seven. If he was four or younger it would be different.

I have to males and the get along fine. ;)

It was only until the started spaying walls that had them neutured.:D

Latest posts

Back