Fixapalooza 2012

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
I finally did it! Called the vet and made appointments to get Maximus neutered and Mabel and Kerensa spayed. Maximus and Mabel are 7 months old (our vet won't spay before 6 months) and Kerensa is a year and a half. Getting bunnies fixed- especially spaying- is extremely scary for me because I worry my babies will die. I've read so many horror stories and this is why Kerensa hasn't been spayed until now, not because of a lack of funds but because of a lack of balls on my part. But of course it's healthiest for them to be fixed and it's a risk we must take. We decided to just get them all done at once so my worrying can be confined to a few days. Our vet is bunny savvy so let's hope everything goes okay!!! I've gone through having 1 rat and 4 bunnies neutered and 1 bunny spayed so I know what to expect and how to take care of them post surgery. Also our foster girl was just spayed a week or so ago so we're in the recovery phase but I didn't have to bite my nails through the surgery itself! The big scary day for Fixapalooza 2012 is January 17th, the day after classes start up again for the semester. Oy.

Anyone else nervous about getting bunnies fixed? How did you help yourself stay calm? No horror stories, please!! Hopefully this thread will help others feel less nervous about letting their bun buns go under the knife.

My Lady is getting fixed tomorrow, I'm not worried at all :D My vet is amazing, for one, and recommeded by rabbit.org. They also spayed my 1st rabbit, Samson, and Samson was great after the spay. There are horror stories about everything, I try to live life with a very "What will be, will be" mentality. :D

Ooh good luck with Lady!! Update the thread, okay?

We were talking to Kerensa's breeder a few months ago and she mentioned that one of Kerensa's siblings died while being fixed at the very animal hospital ours are going to. It's the best pet hospital in the city (and within hundreds of miles) and I know things happen but it's scary :( The breeder did not know which vet spayed the bunny. There's only 1 vet there that I would want to do surgery on our rabbits. The vet that spayed Phoebe Mae also works for a bunny rescue in California and she spayed something like 500 bunnies without any fatalities. That made me feel a lot better! Unfortunately, she moved back to California permanently. I miss her.

Haha thats funny Snowy :p My husband doesn't have the forum "bug" :p
We dropped her off this morning, I can call at 3pm and find out how it went

Yay Lady's spay went very routine! She's doing well, and I'll be able to pick her up at 930am tomorrow :D

I was so horribly nervous when I took Rocky in for his snippy, I was a mess. I took the day off work to wait around at home and worry lol

I was scared about if he had liver problems so I made them do a blood test. I was worried about the anesthesia, being along or cold, scared of the other animals at the vet, if the vets were good enough, would he be in pain, would he eat afterwards or drivk... and so forth.

After all that he was fine and almost fully recovered before the week was out. He was a little mopey and was slow to eat but he started eating hay finally, its all he would eat (he wouldnt eat it before that.

So all in all it worked out for the best :)

OneTwoThree, so glad Lady got through well! Update when you bring her home, okay? And Larry and Kirrie, thanks for the good stories! I know in all likelihood it will all be absolutely fine but I can't help being nervous. The plan had been to get them fixed during my break from school but the vet took a 2 week or so vacation. The day of the surgeries will be right after classes start up again so I will be in class during the day but at least I'll have something else to focus on!

The only thing you can really do is try not to overthink it. Don't do the what-ifs as that will drive you completely insane. Trust yourself, you know you've done your research, you know you can handle certain issues if and when they arise, the rest is (and unfairly so) out of your control.

You're not alone either. :)

Plus, you remember my Wiggly Poo... She was so very ill when she had her emergency spay...Weakened so much, but she pulled through like a champ.

We´ll all be here when the time comes.

Lady's home today! Shes definitely a little out of it, but she gave me kisses when I sat with her for a few minutes so that's good. She chowed down on pellets and has had some poops already so that's good. We got pain meds for 3-5 days, and basically it all went really well!

Here she is, sweet girl :D Samsons in the background, they aren't bonded yet because I'm waiting for Lady's spay (now done!) and recovery, but they've been neighbors for awhile and groom each other through the pen when I let them. Anyway, Samsons ( spayed girl!) been worried about her heh, its pretty cute. I hope their bonding goes easy!

Lady-Recovering.jpg

Lady-Recovering.jpg

Lady-Recovering.jpg

Aw, that's such a cute picture! It looks like Samson's watching Lady with concern. Lady is so pretty, I'm sure I would look terrible after major surgery but she looks like a super model bunny.

Haha isn't it sweet? I was going to seperate them seeing each other with a blanket, but as soon as I put her in her pen Samson ran over to groom her through the bars so I left it. She looked a little more relaxed, heh I turned the light on for the pic so she was like, mooooomm!

Bah thats obnoxious. Here's the pic again, I moved it to another folder but couldn't edit the original post-
Lady-Recovering.jpg

OneTwoThree, how is Lady doing?

The death of poor sweet Trillian during her spay surgery just ramped up my worrying about my babies dying during their surgeries. Poor Trillian :(

I'm getting Ripley neutering in the spring probably. He's 7 mo. now so he'll be almost a year by the time I take him. I can't take him onw though since he's an outside bunny. I think having him in there where its warmer and then going back outside would mess up his nose/respiritory. After one bunny struggling with temp changes I'm not taking any risks with it.

But yeah, I'm totally going to worry myself sick with Ripley when the time comes...AHHH I've heard the bucks are pretty simple, and heal quickly but I'm going to feel so bad..not to mention I'll really miss his "goosey" noises as I call his grunting when he runs up.

I never had any of my bunnies fixed, so this is all new to us-I'll have to get all kinds of input of recovery etc.

Lady is doing great! She's almost good as new, I take her to get her stitches out on Friday. She's eating and pooping and all that fun stuff. Today is he first day pain med free, and she's acting fairly normal :D She's tired of being stuck in her pen though, thats for sure :D

Back