First Vet Visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaymas

Reaction score
I just made the appointment for Lupa's first visit to the vet. Are there any specific questions to ask? And should I bring the papers I got from the humane society? I've never done a first vet visit before so I'm kind of lost lol

Just for a check up. When we adopted her, we were told its probably better to go take her to the vet we are planning on going to for a check up the first few weeks/months we have her just so we can get her file in the system in case of an emergency later on

I would take the paperwork and a list of what she eats. The vet should review diet, exercise, and housing conditions. Also make a list of any questions you may have. The first visit is normally so you can establish a baseline and relationship with the vet. You can also review their general protocols and make sure you are on the same wavelength.

If your bun is not fixed you may want to discuss the procedure as well.

I would take the paper work. Some vets work with the humane society and may give a discount on an exam, but they usually require the paperwork to make sure the rabbit was adopted. The paper work from the humane society also has info on when she was spayed (if they did the surgery), and medical treatment given at the shelter and the known history.

Many questions to ask are related to making sure the vet is rabbit savvy. Since many vets don't know much about rabbits, it is important that you can make sure your vet is good and knows rabbits.
Other questions tend to be about your rabbit and if you have questions. If you do have any concerns or questions, write them down before you go so you can remember them.
The vet will have questions for you, so make sure you know the brand of food you feed, type of hay, kind of litter/bedding and other things about how you care for your rabbit. Write them down if you need to as well.

Be sure to bring your rabbit in a carrier, most vets require a carrier for safety. A towel in the carrier is good and putting some hay in as well is also good.

Awesome! Thank you everyone! I'll make sure to write down questions and a list of the things she eats.

Is there anything I can ask the vet to help me find out if they are rabbit savvy? That is one of my biggest concerns right now. I just want to make sure Lupa gets the best care possible.

Latest posts

Back