First vet visit, thought for food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AVIE

~RUBY AND ROSEY RUM BUNS~
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ruby had her first appt today. Things went well, we have 4 lbs of healthy bunny. She does have some Coccidia in stool that we are treating with a 5 day course of Ponazuril, not a big deal if treated now. She is currently on the Rowes show feed, but vet says too rich for non breeding house rabbit. But instead of cutting it out to just mix it with the oxbow young rabbit that I have at home. He thinks they always benefit from having mixed feeds. Would like her to end up on a mix of the oxbow and the science selective because the fiber pieces are longer. He doesn't have a problem with her having alfalfa pellets (insert here: long diatribe about European vs US diets, indoor only vs outside and the addition of an iguana light for vitamins...got a little lost there). So we are going to continue with the Timothy hay but start adding meadow grass and eventually adding other grasses. I was feeling a little overwhelmed with the alfalfa debate; But he seems very confident in his plan, no reason why she can't live to be 12 to 13 yrs, yay! So we've got the green light to schedule the spay.

Iguana light-- really?

Sherwood Rabbit Food was created by a PhD in molecular biology. The following link is his scientific perspective on alfalfa. It may help offer some clarification.
http://sherwoodpethealth.com/the-science/
The logic typically used for using a mix of 2 different brands of pellet food is in case his usual pellet feed has a sudden recall. If a pet is only used to one kind of food, he may refuse a sudden switch to an alternative. By having 2 mixed, if one is recalled, he'll still be willing to eat the other.

Pet foods are notorious for having frequent recalls -- at least cat and dog foods. I've never heard of a recall on rabbit food, however. Sherwood food is one in which I have full confidence. I've used theirs for years. They make their pellets fresh.

Oxbow has a few different lines of pellets. Their standard Essentials line has a young rabbit version, but their Garden Select young rabbit food is soy & grain-free. After reading the science from Sherwood, you may want to consider either their food or a specific Oxbow line.

In any case, the consensus is that indoor fixed rabbits do best on lower (12-14%) protein amounts. That is why show feeds (better for breeding rabbits) with their high protein % are discouraged for indoor, fixed rabbits.

I think that Alfalfa Pellets should be completely out of the question, rabbits do not need the extra sugar and protein. I do think that mixing hays is a good idea because it gives Ruby something different and provides different minerals.

Iguana light for rabbits? I have never heard of that. I personally would stay away from the light because it is more likely that Ruby would chew the cord than for the light to help her. If you had an arthritic rabbit it might need a heat light because the cold affects arthritis, but if Ruby had a clean bill of health, then she doesn't have arthritis.

I agree with Blue eyes, I would find a good pellet instead of mixing them. I get Small Pet Select rabbit pellets for Theo, he loves them and I have not had any issues. I have only heard great things about Sherwood so you can't go wrong there.

I thought I was prepared and educated going in there... But wow I'm still confused.... Ok though now I understand the mixing of pellets and hay, as he did say something about the romaine shortage a few years ago, so that makes sense. The iguana light has to do with the alfalfa, I think, in many European countries (his words here) rabbits as pets are required to spend some time outside thus getting sunshine and vitamin d. Us house rabbit owners tend to keep bunnies inside, therefore not getting the same vitamin ratio and having a harder time with alfalfa ( I think)... Thus the iguana light several hours a day to compensate. I'm sorry I didnt get a more comprehensive understanding, it was over the phone and there were studies being quoted left and right. His office literature is covered with ads for oxbow, so I can see where that interest pulls from. His in house rabbits get a mix of oxbow and science selective.
I still don't get the alfalfa, ionized calcium I think... Off to research.
Two things I'm wondering..1.. This science selective... Is that the sherwood? And two, those of you in European countries, rabbits required to be outside at least a minimum for sunshine?

Like Oxbow, Science Selective also has a few different lines of food. They also have a grain-free formula that is timothy-based --their Selective Naturals.

So, to clarify, we've been discussing here 3 different brands of food:
1. Oxbow
2. Science Supreme
3. Sherwood

Oxbow has several lines within their products. So does Science Supreme and so does Sherwood.

The following page on my site discusses these (with photos of the bags)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html
The link I gave earlier from Sherwood discusses the science behind their formulas (not to be confused with the food brand of Science Selective). That link explains what is good or bad about alfalfa. That is what I think will help you sort out what goes behind the choosing of a pellet brand.

For the moment, I wouldn't worry about the UV light topic. The food choice is more critical.

Okay, I thank you both, both your comments, the two links and the bits of Drs spiel I picked out are making more comprehensive sense. I get it. On to which brand, maybe it's wrong, but I'm a little offset on the oxbow due to all the ads on the vets literature, plus his comments that he prefers the science selective. So now I'm kind of leaning towards the Sherwood, although not decided on which one yet. I'm going to go ahead and order instead of going through both my bags of rowes and on young rabbit. Ruby is 6 months so old, so by the time I would get her totally transitioned off the rowes she'll be ready for the adult feed anyway. NOW, to better research the different Sherwood products, any recomendations?

Pet foods are notorious for having frequent recalls -- at least cat and dog foods. I've never heard of a recall on rabbit food, however. Sherwood food is one in which I have full confidence. I've used theirs for years. They make their pellets fresh.

There have definitely been recalls on rabbit pellets, though the ones that I'm aware of have primarily been bulk feeds from farm stores, One major one was several years ago here in Utah. There were a couple feeds where their vitamin mix ratio used in their pellets, was changed by the supplier and not properly labeled. The change ended up causing the final pellet to contain toxic levels of vitamin D. The result was several hundred rabbit deaths due to the effects of vitamin D toxicity. All these rabbits were getting sick and dying, it was tracked to the feed, and it did get pulled.

An alfalfa based pellet isn't necessarily bad if it isn't fed in excess where it causes excess calcium excretion in the urine, which also ends up overworking the kidneys,, or causing a build up of calcium sediment in the bladder. And also when it's not fed in excess where too much protein in the diet is causing excess cecals or a strong ammonia smell in the urine. Though if feeding alfalfa pellets that are high in protein, to an adult rabbit, you would likely need to feed much less than if feeding a lower protein grass based pellet.

Diet is all about finding the right balance for your rabbit, where what is being fed isn't leading to health problems, but is keeping your rabbit healthy and at a healthy weight. You'll get hundreds(or more) opinions on what the best diet is. It's good to take into account other's opinions, but I would be more inclined to listen to those opinions if they are based on those persons own experiences and not just being relayed based on something they read(unless factually based on research). Sometimes it's a matter of learning by experience. But also know that sometimes that experience is gained by something negative occurring. I've had rabbits with bladder sludge issues. I ended up feeding grass based pellets because of the experience I gained by trying different pellets, including a few alfalfa based ones like sherwood.

When trying to sort out what the best diet is, I would recommend keeping a close eye on poop and urine output, as well as your rabbits body condition, and monitoring for abnormal changes of behavior. Looking at what the poop size, color, and consistency is. Looking at a urine spot absorbed onto newspaper to see if it contains a lot of calcium sediment, if it's thick and creamy or gel like, if it contains grit, if there are any blood spots. Making sure your rabbit is maintaining a healthy weight on the diet you are feeding. Then always looking for changes of behavior. Regularly checking these things is how best to catch a problem developing before it becomes a serious health problem. Then if there is a diet related component, you know that something needs adjusting or changing.

Latest posts

Back