First time rabbit owner.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstimebunny

Reaction score
My husband got a rabbit for 3 of our kids. Theyare breeder rabbits 2 does and a buck. The does are due to give birthin the next couple of days. I am in need of a little guidance fromanyone out there. Thank You.

I have only been a proud Rabbit owner for 6 daysnow, and honestly they are easy. Except when you have to catch them...or stop them eating the wallpaper... or having to pet them b4 gettingattacked when your favorite program is on :p.

Anywho, Welcome to this forum :p, The nice people here will give youbetter advise than I ever could, so i should wait for them if i were u:p.

Goodluck with your new Hopping friend :p

not to be rude but in my opinion you maybe shouldhave done a little research about bunnys before you got yourself intothis. (if you have than i apoligize)(and again i dont mean this in arude way) first how old are your children? rabbits are a bigresponsibilty and do take alot of work , also both does arepregnate ...................???thats definatelaty alot ofwork . i belive they can have up to 8 kits if they both had that manythatwould mean you now have 19 bunnys to care for, what are you goingto do when it is time for them to be weaned? what aboutselling them?? making sure they go to a good home? are you keeping therabbits in separate cages so after the kits are born your does dont getpregnate? are you going to start breeding ? im not sure on your plansfor the buns, and since you are a firstime bunny owner you are in hardspot starting off with 3 and 2 are pregnate lots an lots ofwork do you have nest boxs for them?again i am not tring tobe rude just instead tring to see what you know and what you haveplaned so that i can better answer your questions. here are somewebsites you should definatley check out and read over

http://www.michiganrabbitrescue.org/soyourchild.htm

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_intro.html
http://www.allearssac.org/poison.html

http://earthhome.tripod.com/saferab.html

http://www.rabbit.org/care/index.html

http://www.arba.net/photo.htm

read over all of these and learn about your new furry friend hopefullya combination of all of these site will held you. congrats on your newfamily members and keep us updated

sara

Hello First time Bunny,

I could not view your photo. If you have photo shop take your picture down to 300 so it will post.

You don't say what breed the rabbits are. If they were purchased from abreeder they would have told you. Did they come with a pedigree? Ibelieve they were purchased from a Rabbit Raiser or BYB who know notmuch more than yourself but to place a Buck and a Doe together andyou'll get baby rabbits. A poor choice indeed. Are the rabbits housedin separate cages? They should be/MUST be. Does [Female rabbits havetwo horns and can be impregnated separately at different times in eachone. When left with the Buck [Male Rabbit] this often happens leadingto compications which can lead to the lose of one or both litter [BabyKits] or both and even the Dam [Mother Rabbit]. The Doe needs her owncage and to be provided with a Nestbox to Kindle[give birth] her kitsin. You must also provide grasshay for her to use as nesting material.She will place the hay in the nest to her liking. When she kindles orjust before she will line the nest with fur that she pulls from herbody. There is alot more to successfully breeding and raisingrabbits than simply placing a Buck and a Doe in the same cage.

I hope this helped some and is not too late.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Actually i cant see the picture either but largebreed rabbits can have 10 or 12 babies in a litter.And from myexperience most people dont want large breeds for pets.bluebird

Aren't those Cali's (Californians)? I love the big breeds.

I have Palominos and Holland Lops. What kind of questions do you have?

Rose

You can have one of my Pals, you live in my state! hehe Bunbun's little babies.

They are really sweet and you need a little boy in the house to balance all those girl hormones from Lenci and Iszy! lololol

Still lookin' for homes for the boys.....;)

Rose

Welcome firstimebunny,

Just keep the does comfortable and be sure the male is separated fromthem so that they don't become pregnant again that night, which canhappen, or the mother doesn't kill them because the buck isthere.

If they're born on the wire, place them in the nestbox so that themother will feed them. If they're born on the wire, she won'tfeed them.

Don't be afraid to pick them up and check on them. The motherwon't abandon them if they have your scent on them and you'll have tobe sure to remove any stillborns or ones that don't make it.

In the mornings, the babies should have nice fat bellies as if theyswallowed a golfball. If they're wrinkly, Mom isn't feedingthem and they'll need your help.

Does usually feed their kits early in the morning around dawn (5:00 a.m.) and usually once a day, although sometimes twice.

Give the does plenty of fresh water, pellets, and hay.

If it's hot where you are, a 2-liter bottle of frozen water can helpcool her down. Don't put it in the nestbox, just in thecage. If they get hot, they'll lean up against it.Check out the post on Cooling a Rabbit in the top five posts on thisforum. Since you're new to rabbits, you might find itinteresting. Never keep their cages in the sun.

Let us know when the little ones arrive. I do hope you'reable to find homes for them. Sara did provide some goodwebsites. :)

-Carolyn

All rabbits are in separate cages. I have 7 kitsnow. They are doing good. Although I did not know anything aboutrabbits when we got these, I have spent the last couple of days on thecomputer reading about them. My children are 13, 12, and 7. I will trythe picture of the rabbit hutch that I built again.:D

My children and I take out frozen bottles ofwater 2 times a day and give them cold fresh water 3 or 4 times a day.If my kids do not take care of them I am. I love all of our animals. Weplan on giving the bsbies to good homes and will not have anotherlitter for a year. My other doe has not given birth yet so we arewaiting for it. I hope it goes as well as the other dam. Annie givebirth on the wire floor and I had to move them to her nesting box sofar so good. I will take Pics of the kits and post it soon. Here is apic of Annie. (Mum)

Thank you. I am thinking that if I am to keepsome bunnies then I am going to have to build on. So far the babies aredoing great. It is neat to watch them get fur on them. Right now theyresemble baby mice but bigger. I love them all. And I am notleaving their care to my kids, I make sure that the kids are takinggood care of them. Here is a picture of Oreo. She is the other doe. Iappreciate everyone that takes time to answer questions forothers...Thank you all.

Latest posts

Back