First time mom nesting :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolWaterRabbitry

Reaction score
Our first time mom Kara started nesting this morning. :) (day 27 for her) I placed a nestbox in her cage, she didn't quite know what to do with it lol Will keepupdating as the days go by.

Wish us(well her really)luck!

Good luck hope everything gos well for her :biggrin2:

lol Thanks :)

This will be my first experience with a first time doe. I'm glad I had proven does for my first litters. I'm not expecting anything from this litter, but will be happy if she steps up and cares for them easily. :)

lol I she started trying to nest outside the box and wouldn't go anywhere near it, soI scooped her up and put her in the box. She checked it out, then decided that that would be a better place and continued building. :biggrin:It was cute.

She's due friday..so fingers crossed. :pray:

Good luck! I just had my first experience with a first time doe. It went well.
Mine built her nest in the nestbox and is doing wonderfully caring for the babies. The only thing is she took a little bit longer to feed the babies the first time. It had been near 24 hrs and they were looking skinny so I held her down for a few mins and let them feed. After that, she got the point and has been feeding them every morning. :)

She had them, today was her due date (31st) and I had palpated 2 kits and that's what she had.

One was still born, standard markings, and the other one is live and standard marked. She used the nestbox (thank god!) and now its time to sit and hope that she takes good care of it.

I'm loving Tye, my herd buck. :) This is his second litter (ever and second with me) and he has produced a total of 4 nicely marked kits from both a standard doe and a dutchmarked doe. So that's a good sign. :)

That's great news!

What breed of rabbits are we talking abut here? I am not quite understanding "Standard markings" and "dutchmarked"

lelanatty wrote:
That's great news!

What breed of rabbits are we talking abut here? I am not quite understanding "Standard markings" and "dutchmarked"

Dwarf Hotots. :)

pic1.jpg

"Dutchmarkings" other breeders call them by other names, like "Sport"s it's just a DH mismark and can be in a form like Kara (above picture) or in the form of less spoting.

and Standard(or just called Black Banded):

Buck2.jpg

Tye (sire of the litter) is a standard black banded, no stray black spots. :)

**EDIT TO ADD*** That the mismarked DHs cannot be shown and are really only good for pet homes, unless they have good breeding type. Some breeders will not use mismarked for the fact that they think the rabbit will only produce other mismarked.
Fact is, that you can get mismarked, either the dutchmarkings or stray spots, even if you breed two Standard marked rabbits together. So it's a chance. :)

Thanks. I knew that mismarks can't be shown and all that, it was just your different terminology that confused me. I am used to hearing "sport" and "black banded" but thanks for explaining! :)

lol Two of the breeder's I chat with use 'black banded' and 'sport' then three other breeders use 'standard' and 'mismarked' and I've had one pedigree where all 4 terms are used. :p Confusing right?

Good News, I was in the room changing water and noticed Kara in her box, for quite a long time I may add; and once she was out and resting I checked the kit. Yes indeed she fed that little one, it's got a nice round belly. :) So Kara's at least off to a great start. I'll get pictures up tomorrow. :biggrin:

002.jpg

The baby is 5 days old now and is thriving. :biggrin:Kara is putting in 110% effort for a first time mom and is in the box much more than I've ever heard or seen of. The baby has a wonderfully round full belly, a good amount of hair now, and lookslike standardDH coloring(which really is just a plus, I'm just glad she's caring for it).

So happy. :)

Latest posts

Back