First time Doe with first time litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liddellsbunbuns

Reaction score
My MR doe Lola just kindled her first litter of 2 kits. Its been getting pretty cold at night (mid to low 40's, some times into the upper 30's), and right now my rabbitry is set up outide on the side of my house with a tarp roof (while my husband is making plans to build me a "barn"). Should I bring the kits inside at night? I would have brought in mama before but I have small children and no where is a safe zone for her in my house. I cover the cages some, while still leaving some airflow, at night for the others as well as give them straw to snuggle into and they seem to do well. Would the new babies be ok outside or would it be better to bring the nestbox in at night and back out to mama during the day?

Here are the new babies :)

20101203_1.jpg
20101205.jpg

Rabbits feed there babies during the night and early hours of the morning so no that's not a good idea.

Do you have a basement or a shed you can put the mum and the babies in?

If not, cover the cage with tarps and fill the babies nest box with hay.

The kits are absolute cuties!!!! congrats! As for the nest, if you don't have a safe place in the house, just make sure they are covered and have plenty of warm bedding (and moms fur) and they should be just fine. Enjoy your new additions!

Thanks everyone! Luckily mama pulled tons of fur, so I covered the cages and put a bunch of hay and straw to help keep them warm. I wasnt expecting it to be this cold yet living in San Diego and all lol. Her litter mate is due tomorrow. I hope she comes on time like this one. :)

I agree. I'll be expecting two litters next month and the lowest it gets around here is low 30's at night. Our hutches are on the side of the house. We use tarp and clear plastic sheeting to keep in the heat. It works for us. If she's a first time mom I would be careful about moving them so much.

Latest posts

Back