First time bunny owner seeks help :-)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayanne

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all well.

Recently, last week actually, we adopted two bunnies from the local pet store. They are two years old, female one is a Lionhead and the other is a Dwarf Lop (apparently, its the size of a small dog though). They're very well bonded and largely happy I think.

I've managed to litter train them - well two days of no accidents and four days of only minor accidents.

But how do I know if they're happy?

The big one (Marshmallow) is a bit skittish, but confident enough to mooch around the house and headbutt us if we're in her way. The lionhead (Banana) is more confident but also quite ...offhand with us.

Banana will jump onto the sofa (which is fine) not a great fan of being picked up - when we're taking her out to her hutch for example, but will allow it once you've picked her up.

Is there anyway of encouraging them to enjoy tickles more? I think Marshmallow is starting to love them, she did a teeth grind at me the other day, then flopped onto my hand (apparently this means they're happy?) and they're definitley comfortable, lots of flopping and showing us their bellys. But they don't come to us for cuddles, is it too late at 2 years old to encourage this behaviour?

Thanks

No, it isn't to late, they both seem to be happy but it will take them time to warm up to there new home!

Rabbits in general don't like being picked up, but if you keep working on the bond, rabbits can tolerate it. With my rabbit, she'll allow me to hold her for a minute but afterwards, she wants to be put back down. I give her a treat to let her know that she did good when I held her. Not all rabbits will like to cuddle, but they can enjoy sitting next to you as you pet them. When I lay on my bed, Trixie will jump up and come to nudge my head to give some pets, but then jump off. She doesn't care to lay next to me or anything of that sort. Honestly, the whole "cuddling" idea is all based on a rabbit's personality and temperament.

Based off what you've said, it sounds like they're still getting accustomed to their new environment and just continue working on your bond with them. If they are flopping, they are happy. When you see them binky, that's when you know they're extra happy.

I think Marshmallow is starting to love them, she did a teeth grind at me the other day, then flopped onto my hand (apparently this means they're happy?) and they're definitley comfortable, lots of flopping and showing us their bellys. But they don't come to us for cuddles, is it too late at 2 years old to encourage this behaviour?

Thanks
Hi! It's not too late they just will need some time and hopefully you'll be able to build trust between you and your new bunnies :)

Besides, this sound like grinding teeth is actually sign of satisfaction when you rub their nose or forehead they will feel very happy and make this strange sound so you're on the right track :)

You can get to their level just laying with them or sitting on the floor doing something reading or playing with your phone or watching TV and just let them to explore you don't pay any attention to them and they will come to you eventually, well maybe not in first day or first week, it's very individual but just be patient and friendly, have some little treats in your pocket like just one pellet you can give every time she comes to you and you'll get there.

Oh, one other thing as they warm up keep doing what you are doing. If you lose their trust again while they are warming up to you it will be twice as hard. You got this!

Thanks guys, the bunnies seem content enough to hop in the house and in the garden. They're obsessed with the vacuum cleaner though which is funny. Also, they recognise the sound of the pellet bag and charge at us as soon as they hear it.

Thanks guys, the bunnies seem content enough to hop in the house and in the garden. They're obsessed with the vacuum cleaner though which is funny. Also, they recognise the sound of the pellet bag and charge at us as soon as they hear it.
That's how my rabbit is too! She's still getting accustomed to the vacuum though but she doesn't run away like she used to.

That is super cute, now if you want you can train them with the pellet bag! When you say come then open the bag and after they come say come again, they will eventually associate come with food and then they will come when called!

Latest posts

Back