First Show

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, when I find a rabbit that i'm interested in at a show to look at for improving my lines. I watch the rabbit show on the table and talk to it's breeder. I usually keep an eye on my own things or I leave a sign up with my cell phone number, which is on me and typically what i'm wearing if someone really wanted to track me down for some of the rabbits i have for sale. AS i have learned (this took me a little while of showing) about the points you have to be registered with that breed (Or at least that's what i've heard) Though this is my 3rd year showing, i don't attend alot of shows, because i've got horses to take care of as well(I work for my horses board on a farm and she doesn't know the first thing about caring for her 6 horses) so i stick strictly to local shows.
The youth that works in my 'family team' as we call ourselves does take rabbits from all three rabbitries to the fair. While her rabbits, live at Red Thunder Rabbitry and Cindy's Spots Rabbitry, she comes over and works with my mini rex buck and she shows him. I typically only show two breeds-Dutch and HOlland Lops. If you're going to a show for the first time, it can be VERY daunting if you manage to rangle into one of the larger shows. Rhinebeck and Cobleskill are tiny shows and Longtrail Rabbit Club of vermont is a small rabbit show and that's typically the only shows I go to. If you are close enough and want to come you can gladly pick mine or Rachel's brains. Cindy(the parent in the group, rachel's aunt) isn't so easy to talk to.
I show just for the fun of it. I enjoy the time away from home with my best friend, Aunt Cindy and the youth. We travel together and we always bring empty holes in our carriers and most of the time end up bringing a few home.
You can sometimes end up meeting the weirdest people at these shows. I rescued this mini lop buck out of the auction(he was almost the meat buyers) and i took him to Morrisville show and ended up set up next to his breeders. She heard his story and ended up buying him back from me, after he finished Best opposite of class. I wasn't into Mini Lops and she couldn't believe what had happend to the poor boy. She's kept in touch and he's gone and won a few legs now. That was my most recent show. my first show was Rhinebeck 3 years ago. I took Blaze(my tiny piccy over there), his solid orange brother and a broken blue buck i had. And despite all three being some of the first off the table i had so much fun and I got to see what others had and I met some really nice Holland Lop breeders, the judge even gave me pointers on how to finish conditioning them, Blaze showed better the second time thanks to his advice.

So my advice, go and enjoy yourself. FOr me I'm not in it to win, I'm there to have seom fun and enjoy myself-Especially with my dutch. I know they aren't perfect, but they do fairly well despite their markings being bad, their coats are in very good shape(Amita got Best Senior Blue Doe once because she was in condition and the others weren't and her stops practically don't stop)
Give it a wing, try it. if you are going to be at Rhinebeck lemme know. I'll do what i can to help ya.

Latest posts

Back