First Round of Bunny Dates

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luluznewz

Reaction score
So i've been considering getting Lulu a friend. It has been a complicated decision because, to be honest, the whole process makes me nervous. I decided to jump in today and take Lulu to a Rabbit Haven adoption event.

They people were very nice, there were about 20 rabbits there and staff was on hand to help me and Lulu with the looking.

Lulu met three bunnies. They were all lops, because I have never had one and would really like my next bunny to be a lop.

The first one started off really really well. They went in a ride in the cart together and had no trouble. The boy bunny (Firby) kept asking to be groomed. Lulu wouldn't do it, but he seemed very taken with her.

When they got in the pen together it went well until Lulu nipped him. It wasnt hard, and she backed off, but then she kept giving him little nips and we called it quits.

The next rabbit was fine, except he would not stop humping her! She didnt seem to mind, but it was constant. It was so constant that the women didnt think it would work.

The last rabbit did not go well at all. Lulu went for him immediately even in the cart.

So we came home without a buddy. I'm not sure how to feel. Im really disappointed Firby didnt work out because I really liked him and he liked me and Lulu, even though she nipped him. I'm not sure if the woman helping us bond did the right thing by snatching him away. Are little nips on the first meeting always a bad sign? What do you guys think.

Lulu was pretty unsocial, even when she wasnt directly biting. I'm sorta discouraged. Do you think she just needs to meet more rabbits?

:) oh dear! would Lulu be able to have another bunny date with Firby? the stress of being in an unfamiliar place may have made her nervous. she could have been laying down the rules to Firby too:p dont give up just yet!

Nips are not unusual, but typically the better it goes in a neutral, unfamiliar setting, the better chance things will continue to be on the easy side at home. Even buns that get along fantastically in neutral territory can fight when brought home into one bunny;s territory. I think if you can put some more time into the "date" and see if they calm down it could be workable, but the rescue people probably are just trying to find the easiest match to reduce stress and bonding time when you bring them home. Good luck finding the prefect bun for you and Lulu!

I understand being nervous. Stuff like that makes me nervous too. I am always afraid somebun is going to get hurt. I had a lady from the House Rabbit Society come to my home once to help me with the bonding. Because one little act like they were going to nip and I would be grabbing a bun out of there. She helped me understand when to let things go and when to get involved. She told me little nips like that, to let it go. But to keep bonding sessions short so little nips didn't lead to something worse. She really helped me to understand what behaviors I should let go and when it was time to separate the buns. If the nip seemed harmless and didn't seem like they were going to start fighting, I would let it go. I don't think it is abnormal that a bun would lightly nip another bun on their first meeting. As long as the bite wasn't really aggressive and broke the skin.

I think Lulu probably just needs some time. I would take her to visit Firby again. See if things go any better. I think it is normal that a bun doesn't love another bun right away. It takes time to bond them. Lulu could have been showing Firby she was going to be the dominate bun. Just so he knows lol. I think one bun is always the dominate bun and they have to figure out who that is going to be and it can take time.

Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide.

Nipping and humping are so normal..I don't know why they would give up. You can't really just expect two rabbits to bond right away..but two of those boys sound like it would have worked!

Bonding can take a time..not a hedious amount of time, but some time, just like Amy said.

I think you actually need to take one home to really see how it works...take on one more date at the site and see what happens.

Back