First bunny!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick95

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm the new owner of a 8 week old Rex Rabbit! I bought her the other day after seeing her in the pet store jumping all over the place and trying to lick my fingers. Not sure what to call it yet, because I'm not sure if its a male or female.. But I think it is female after a bit of inspection, though I read it may be difficult to tell at a young age. Anyways she now lives in my bunny proofed room where she has a big pen in the corner I put her in when I have to leave for a long while and when I go to bed. Anyways so far I'm really pleased with the way she is getting along, I read a lot about how rabbits may not be very friendly to begin with but mine already is hopping and jumping around everywhere and she feels very comfortable coming up to me and getting pet. She doesn't mind being picked up, but still begins to struggle if she realizes I'm taking her outside to her other play pen or putting her in the inside pen. The only real problem I have, is my dog.. He's only a small old maltese and he never is aggressive or bites, but he is fixated on the rabbit, whenever he comes in my room he just circles the pen same with outside and he whines. The funny thing is the rabbit does not mind at all, she even tries to get up close to him. Anyways for now I'm just gonna keep introducing them slowly, because even though I don't think my dog wants to hurt her, he might accidentally end up doing so if let loose to play with her. Its hard because he is my dog who is used to spending all of his time with me and sitting in my room if I'm there, but I've had to shut the door to prevent him from going in while bunnies running and jumping around, or sleeping in the sun. Anyways that's the story so far, I'll have to upload some pics. :)

Hey there and welcome to the forum :) Sounds like you've got a good little set-up going for your new bunny. Progress with your dog may be slow, but better than rushing anything, and even once they eventually seem ok together, I would never leave them unsupervised. Don't forget to give your dog love too so he doesn't feel neglected :p

Bandit was originally a boy (sexed by breeder), then a girl (by vet), then a boy again (by me once his bits descended). Lol, you'll figure it out.

Latest posts

Back