First Bunny Meeting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eclairemom

Reaction score
Brought Scamper in to meet Pixie today. She was in her cage and he went over to investigate. Smelled around the room, did some chinning. Then walked up to the cage and they started to sniff each other. If he moved to fast she would jump back and when he backed off she would chew on her cage to try and get out. Then we introduced them on the bed, more sniffing she crawled up under him, head first and more sniffing. Then he went off to investigate the room some more and chin a few more things.

I think our bunny introduction went well, hopefully they will be best friends. Will an older bunny and a younger bunny bond or will they wait till she is all grown up? Right now she is so very tiny compared to him and I expect she will be less than half his size when she matures.

I'd wait to do any serious bonding until she is older. While young rabbits tend to be easier to bond, they can change as they get older (even 4-6 months) which can mean problems with the bond. You can do some bonding sessions and let them get to know each other, but as far as putting them in the cage and living together, I'd hold off until she is older and preferably spayed.

An older rabbit can bond with a younger one, my Korr will be 7 in August and is bonded to Amelia who turned 2 in December. They have been together since she was about 9 months old or so.

While they do change as they get older if they can be friends even if they are young that is ok as long as the older and most likely bigger bunny doesn't hurt the younger one because of the advantage.
So yea don't put them in the same age until they are both fully grown.

good luck:biggrin:

Wishing you all the success with Scamper and Pixie.

My Dobby/Kreacher bond went south when they hit 5 months. Kreacher was smaller than Dobby and I think Dobby was taking advantage of it and that's when the split happen.

I think the advise of waiting until Pixie is full grown would be the way I would go now, reviewing where I went wrong. Keeping the dates going, like you did today, I think will help that bond and get them ready once they are both full grown.

I hope you keep an update. Truly hoping it's a good transition to a sweet bunny relationship between Scamper and Pixie.

K:)

Latest posts

Back