First Batch of babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Horray Bella had her first batch of kits this morning. So cute, she had six but I found one very lifeless, I warmed it up, but it's dead, so she has five little kits.
Bella was a bit jumpy this morning. Almost like she was very alert, probably cos of the newborns. This morning when I first went to pet her, she sort of was jumpy, and nervous, then after she had eaten a bit, she calmed down and I was then able to calm her down even more by petting her, she loves her pets and strokes, (she always has) after a while of me stroking her, she was more relaxed.

Well done Bella!

I'll send some pics in a couple of days, I don't want to disturb her and her kits too much, as this is her first time being a mum, so I'll wait for a couple of days or a week before taking some pics

To answer your question, Mum and babies are outside, in a big hutch, Then I have a fenced-in area on the grass where Bella runs around. My brother built a totally enclosed nest box with an entrance big enough for Bella. The lid of the nest box opens up so that I can check on them.

Unfortunately, I can't have them inside, because I get a bit allergic to rabbit fur or whatever comes with their fur, so I keep her in a very sheltered large hutch with a big pen for her to run around.

The daddy of these Kits actually lives with my friend next door, so Bella and the babies are safe from dad (Bon is his name).

I have sent photos on another thread

To answer your question, Mum and babies are outside, in a big hutch, Then I have a fenced-in area on the grass where Bella runs around. My brother built a totally enclosed nest box with an entrance big enough for Bella. The lid of the nest box opens up so that I can check on them.

Unfortunately, I can't have them inside, because I get a bit allergic to rabbit fur or whatever comes with their fur, so I keep her in a very sheltered large hutch with a big pen for her to run around.

The daddy of these Kits actually lives with my friend next door, so Bella and the babies are safe from dad (Bon is his name).

I have sent photos on another thread
How long do you have to keep the mail away from the babies?

um well, I've never put any babies around the dads, or let the Dad's around the babies because I just never know what will happen. I don't want the Dad hurting any babies or the Mum or Dad getting into a big fight.

Once before, I put one of the Dad's sons back in with him when the Son was older ( 3 months), but that was after about a month of their pens being side by side to get them used to each other's scent and presence. The Dad is a very gentle male, and I have never seen him hurt another rabbit very often (only twice I think).

I suggest you don't let the male around the babies until they are at least 3 months, and keep him separated by a fence or pen, for at least a month, then gradually give him time in with the youngsters, u still want to keep an eye on him though, in case he tries to hurt any, and sometimes if Mum is still with the youngsters, she could get quite grumpy with him (or she may not), or he might try and mate any of the little females, (which you definitely don't want).

Just work on it gradually and see how they all react to each other, but definitely keep him separated by a fence, and a watchful eye is always great.

and if your male gets in with your female enough times, and they aren't spayed or neutered, they definitely will accomplish something at some stage (especially if he is trying to mate her).

Congratulations on your new kits 🥳 Having the opportunity to care for baby bunnies is a precious and fun experience.

I feel I should mention the risks about having male rabbits together. It's almost always recommended not to. Hormonal male rabbits will almost always fight, and these fights can result in very serious injuries or even death.

Occasionally there may be daddy rabbits that are good about being around their baby kits. But once those kits mature and the hormones start, this relationship can change very quickly. This can even happen with male siblings once they become hormonal. Typically this is around 10-12 weeks old. And the kits that are female are likely to just get pestered by the hormonal male rabbits. So I would not recommend letting male rabbits past 12 weeks old, or whenever the humping starts, remain together. Otherwise there is a very high risk of serious injuries occurring.

I personally wouldn't risk having an adult male rabbit in with baby rabbits unless you are absolutely certain about him being safe around the babies and not trying to pester them to mate. And only if the babies are still young enough to not be exhibiting hormonal behaviors yet. If in doubt, best not to try it.

I never had any issues with males and kits, unlike my spayed doe they always were just friendly. But having the male around the doe is a problem, I wouldn't even a neutered one trust that he doesn't bother her when kindling (no experience with that though).
I even let the kits out in the garden with the buck, issues only started when the bucklings hit puberty (at about 14 weeks I think, rather big rabbits) - and they started to attack the buck.

Since some does defend the nest there is imo no point of having the male around that for the first month on purpose, the encounters I witnessed were when the kits got mobile and were small enough to get through the fence (up to 8 weeks app.) or had garden time with the buck.

Not to mention that from the minute she kindles doe+buck=next litter on the way instantly. Whenever this happens, for 35 days act on the assumption that she's pregnant .

um well, I've never put any babies around the dads, or let the Dad's around the babies because I just never know what will happen. I don't want the Dad hurting any babies or the Mum or Dad getting into a big fight.

Once before, I put one of the Dad's sons back in with him when the Son was older ( 3 months), but that was after about a month of their pens being side by side to get them used to each other's scent and presence. The Dad is a very gentle male, and I have never seen him hurt another rabbit very often (only twice I think).

I suggest you don't let the male around the babies until they are at least 3 months, and keep him separated by a fence or pen, for at least a month, then gradually give him time in with the youngsters, u still want to keep an eye on him though, in case he tries to hurt any, and sometimes if Mum is still with the youngsters, she could get quite grumpy with him (or she may not), or he might try and mate any of the little females, (which you definitely don't want).

Just work on it gradually and see how they all react to each other, but definitely keep him separated by a fence, and a watchful eye is always great.
Thank you so much!!!

and I definitely agree with JBun, "If in doubt don't even try it", because all Bunnies react differently.
I have never had a problem with Bon (the dad) hurting any of his offspring, but I will never let him near mum or the babies before 2 or 3 months, (I never put him near the female babies) and if I am ever going to put a son with him, I always make sure they have bonded through their fence, and then I try them for a bit each day together till I know they are connecting well.

But my male is different from another person's male Bunny who might show more aggression.
So definitely only try it out if you are sure.

and I definitely agree with JBun, "If in doubt don't even try it", because all Bunnies react differently.
I have never had a problem with Bon (the dad) hurting any of his offspring, but I will never let him near mum or the babies before 2 or 3 months, (I never put him near the female babies) and if I am ever going to put a son with him, I always make sure they have bonded through their fence, and then I try them for a bit each day together till I know they are connecting well.

But my male is different from another person's male Bunny who might show more aggression.
So definitely only try it out if you are sure.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!!!

I am getting my mail fixed in about three weeks, so I still need to worry about him being around the babies?

It can take 4-8 weeks after a neuter, for the hormones to have faded enough that a male rabbit doesn't have excessive hormonal behaviors like persistent humping. It can take up to 6 weeks post neuter for a male rabbit to no longer be fertile and him being a risk of getting an unspayed doe older than 4 months, pregnant.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits

Latest posts

Back