Firework Stress?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissyAndMoonlight

Reaction score
With the 4th of July approaching, I started thinking about the possibly stressful effects of fireworks on the bunnies. We have neighbors that started lighting off giant firework as early as yesterday, and I know that they will be doing it all night tonight and even more bigger and better ones tomorrow.

On top of their obnoxious fireworks, our other neighbors will be setting off their smaller ones most of the night and tomorrow night as well. I will not be home tonight to bring the buns into the house for a little less noise (especially since Moon is particularly sensitive towards loud noises), but I am especially worried about tonight since tomorrow is a Monday and most parties are happening tonight .

I'm just kind of assuming that they would be scared, since some of the big ones make me jump when I'm not expecting them, and that's with me knowing what fireworks are. Is there anything I can do to relieve stress for the explosions all night? Or is it not really an issue and I'm just being an overprotective rabbit owner??

Last edited:
UPDATE:

My parents (who's bedroom is right above the rabbit hutch) said that they were thumping all last night and into the morning, so they are definitely scared or feel threatened.

Mine don't like fireworks. The dog doesn't either but he just stays glued to me until it stops (he's also scared of the noise hot-air balloons make ^^). I close the door and shutters to their room so they hear it less. I don't really see what you can do if your rabbits are outside. I would just give a big pile of wet leafy greens, grass and a hay they really like before leaving and again after you come back home to try and prevent any stasis problem that might occur because of the stress. Just keep an eye on the litter box ^^. It's really the main concern - it is unlikely your rabbit's heart is just going to stop because of some fireworks. Unfortunately, our rabbits all have to live through some stressful experiences from time to time (I'm going on holiday next week and the rabbits are going to travel with me, by train - we've been doing it for 7 years but I think I hate it and stress about it as much as they do ^^').

Is there no way you can bring them inside? I live in Canada and canada day was July 1st on Friday my bun is inside and she didn't care about the firework noise. I think its because they're right there next to the noise, and even some firework "leftovers" might spray onto them which could be bad.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! All was well. I ended up putting penny of bedding, hay, and veggies in their cage, and added some more mostly enclosed rooms to their cage. As a matter of fact, Missy seemed kind of interested in the firework.

That's great! ^^
Generally, everything goes well but we can't help but worry about every event that could stress them - anyway, it can't hurt to keep an eye on them just in case.

Latest posts

Back