Finding the 'right' vet for your bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toady

Reaction score
Today I tried to get in to see the bunny savvy vet at our local clinics to talk to her about spaying my darling hormonal EA Ash, I kept missing her as she was travelling between the two closest and when I asked my nearest clinic about desexing the vet nurses were a bit iffy and when I was told the price I was a bit shocked. Plus a comment by the senior nurse that bunnies are 'more at risk' undergoing the surgery than most other animals had me wondering what they really knew about bunnies.

I've been going to this vet clinic with all my pets for decades but although this bunny savvy vet is lovely I'm still going to call and ask a few other clinics (within about an hour radius) if they have a bunny vet and spaying costs etc. I feel a bit bad about breaking the loyalty but Ash's health comes first and for such an important surgery I want a team who knows what they're doing.

I know some of the basic questions to ask: Should I fast my bunny? No they don't vomit and should never have an empty belly, to make sure she wouldn't be given anything remotely related to penicillin and check they use Isoflurane to put them 'under'. Anything else I should be asking?

Loyalty goes out the window at this house when our animals are in need of anything. You are wise to look around for someone or some team that really knows about rabbits.

Ask about pain meds for after the surgery. Females really go through a lot when spayed and need extra care afterwards. Boys usually bounce back in 3 days.

Also ask about the incision. Will it be stitches or glue?

Ask about how they do the anesthesia. That was my big concern regarding bunnies. How they handle the anesthesia.

And most important, if there is a problem afterwards, who do you call and what is the number? And what should you expect as far as a quick response.

Wishing you luck with Ash. It's a bit scary, but it will be OK.

K:)

Yes, I've read that rabbits are slightly more at risk, but still the risk is low & definitely is outweighed by the cancer risk for an unspayed rabbit.

And if the vet you've been seeing does the spaying, I wouldn't rule them out because of the staff. My vet's office has a reputation for gruff staff but caring vets, though the staff is receptionists & it's mainly on the phone at their other office.

The staff should reflect the Vet's attitude toward servcing the public and their patients. All of my Rabbit Savvy Vets' staffknow about bunnies so they are very helpful. And if they don't know the answer, they will find it out.

If you find a Vet and Staff that knows rabbits, you've hit a home run!Because you have to go through the Staff to get to the Vet.

I guess at some places you have to go through the staff to get to the vet, but he's the only one at the mult-vet, 2-facility place that deals with rabbits, so it's no problem. I just keep note of when he's where.

I adore my vet and she is incredible with the buns. The staff is pretty good, but not as knowledgeable (at least the desk staff, the techs are also great). I give leeway when it is just the desk staff that doesn't know as much since they won't be doing anything to the buns other than checking them in/out.

When I was booking Sophie's spay the desk guy said to fast her (that's what he has to tell all the dog and cat people). A tech over heard and we both started to correct him at the same time, it was kind of funny. It was a good learning experience for him because he didn't know buns couldn't vomit.

I also felt guilty when I changed from my old vet to this one. However, the old vet couldn't get Becky's snuffles under control and I wanted a second opinion. My current vet hit the right protocol on the first try. We have built a great relationship and she is so dedicated. When Cindi started having seizures my husband called to tell them we were on our way. The vet was at a dentist appointment but she left to meet us at the clinic when they paged her.

LakeCondo wrote:
I guess at some places you have to go through the staff to get to the vet, but he's the only one at the mult-vet, 2-facility place that deals with rabbits, so it's no problem. I just keep note of when he's where.

Smart. Got an in with the Vet. I do too, but do like to know the Staff as well, since they also take care of the bun if something should arise like spaying/neutering or serious overnight issues. I learned to know EVERYONE so that I know that my bunnies and dog get the best care. Life lessons showed me that.

I plan on keeping with my usual vets for my cats and dog but if I can find a more experienced vet who knows rabbits elsewhere I'll be happy to travel.

I get all nervous and jittery on the phone so sent off a few emails to some vets asking if they have a rabbit vet in their practise, ask about pre and post surgery (if they say 'fast them' or they use a penicillin based antibiotic they're off the list) care and what age can I get her spayed. I found it a bit hard to believe that to spay a 2kg (4lb) bunny costs $250 but a fully grown female cat is only $220

I just got a reply from one of the vets;

Yes we spey rabbits. It’s a day procedure, we book them in normally on a Wednesday and you drop her off between 830 and 9am and pick her up about 4pm.
Pre-surgery prep is just no food for 12 hours before coming in, no water for 2 hours. If you bath her, then give her a bath 2 days before her surgery as she won’t be able to be bathed for 2 weeks after surgery until her sutures are removed.
Surgery is a full ovo-histerectomy (removal of the uterus and both ovaries) done through a midline incision in her abdomen.
Post surgery care involves keeping clean and dry until suture removal 10-14 days later
Any general anaesthetic in rabbits does come with a small but finite risk of shock or physical injury during recovery, both of which can be life threatening. Our patients are carefully monitored with the latest equipment while under anaesthetic so as to minimise this risk. We do perform this surgery in rabbits several times a year so the staff are experienced with this procedure. The surgical team on Wednesdays have been operating together for more than 20 years! So she would be in good hands!!

Understandable as there's not a heap of pet bunnies in the area and it's good to know there's an experienced team and also mentioned the type of surgery. Only thing that worries me is the fasting pre surgery (I would probably still let her have some dinner hay the night before to be safe) but they didn't mention the cost so I'll have to reply to their email asking that.

I can tell you that I've been going to the same vet for my exotics (birds & reptiles) since 1999. But 13 years has a way of changing the landscape of vet care in the neighborhood. New people come in with up to date treatments, the old ones might grow stagnant and keep their old school ways.

Shop around. You will never regret finding the best vet for your pets.

Ended up calling a few, prices ranged from $230 to $275 and I got the feeling that a few of them weren't too sure, so I called a place 2 hours north that a bunny rescue place uses and not only did the lady who answered the phone know what she was talking about but the cost of $179 makes it worth the 2 hour drive!

Using the place that the rescue bunnies use is how I found my vet. I contacted the local rescue and asked who does all of their bunny-medicine. She gave me a name, and when I called her, she knew absolutely what she was doing. I'd say going to your local rescue as a resource is a really good way to do it. If they trust all of their buns with someone, that's probably a good person to go to.

Well Miss Ash is booked in for Wednesday 30th May for her spay, of course it means leaving here at 7:30am but it's worth it to know she's in very good hands.

I'm going to contact some friends who live up that way to see if they'll be home and I can go say hi, knowing them that'll fill in quite a few hours... also hoping that the rabbit rescue in the same town gets in contact with me about the Jersey Wooly they had for adoption, could kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak

Latest posts

Back