Finding the right bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco

Reaction score
Been thinking about getting a bunny for over a year now but I am kinda picky on everything about what bunny I get. I don't get rid of my animals.. How do I go about finding the right one? I contacted the bunny rescue place here but no one has got back to me yet it has been 3 days but maybe they are overloaded.. I dunno.

I have narrowed it down to two breeds.. Dutch or Flemish giant. I notice that no rescue places have flemish giants. Whenever I search to purchase one I always end up on some site that is selling them for meat. Nothing wrong that tho as rabbits are a classic food that has been around forever. Just wondering if getting a rabbit from one of those guys is a bad idea?

I really only want one rabbit at this stage but will it be lonely without a mate?

Been looking on craigslist and all the rabbits look neglected and not too many posted. Crazy when I was down south tons and tons of rabbits on crags list

Have you checked the breed specialty clubs in your region? They usually have a list of breeders on their websites. I am also searching for a certain breed & I have found that the clubs have a lot of good info!

Hardly any rabbits in my area. Unless you count the rabbit rescue place they seem to have a ton but no info on each one. Just a picture and a guess at DOB.The state I used to live in had 20 pages of bunnies.

If your interested in a Flemish you can try Petfinder as someone mentioned above and specifically put down that breed. I've seen a few but usually in far out places. Or you can try contacting an established breeder. http://www.nffgrb.net/ lists them by region and state. I bought both my Flemish's from breeders because I am picky and couldn't quite adopt, and haven't regretted. The Vet compliments how healthy and beautiful they and I like how friendly and behaved my Conan and Xena are.

If your interested in a Flemish you can try Petfinder as someone mentioned above and specifically put down that breed. I've seen a few but usually in far out places. Or you can try contacting an established breeder. http://www.nffgrb.net/ lists them by region and state. I bought both my Flemish's from breeders because I am picky and couldn't quite adopt, and haven't regretted. The Vet compliments how healthy and beautiful they and I like how friendly and behaved my Conan and Xena are.

I am curious do you have experience with any other breeds of rabbits? I lean towards the flemish giant because I read how docile large breeds are compared to the smaller hyper ones. Do you guys find that to be true? Someone on here was saying that breed doesn't matter but more of the bunny.

Another thing I find annoying is one of the places around here has a 135.00 adoption fee. I understand and have no problem paying a fee however compared to all the other places that is insane.. I think the highest adoption fee I had seen back hom was 85.00

Sorry, no experience with other breeds. While Flemish are docile, and mine seem so, it's a little intimidating their size. Even with gentle care you'll probably get scratched, maybe bit accidentally and since these are bigger bunnies it looks and feels a bit more severe. Granted, I'm the one who more often handles my rabbits so I've got the scratches, but even my wife pick up a few here and there.

American Rabbit Breeders Association or ARBA, their website I believe has a section where you can search for rabbit breeders, either by state or breed. I believe when I first started looking for a flemmie breeder I saw several from Texas.

I have a Flemish giant. Mine is on the smaller size. He is a lot of fun. Likes being petted, plays chase with me. He doesn't spook easily. Many years ago I bought a bunny from a store, I'm not sure what breed it was. It was a small bun and friendly.

I am curious do you have experience with any other breeds of rabbits? I lean towards the flemish giant because I read how docile large breeds are compared to the smaller hyper ones. Do you guys find that to be true? Someone on here was saying that breed doesn't matter but more of the bunny.00

Rabbits are all each so unique I'm hesitant to EVER assign a certain personality to a certain breed and i think most people on here would concur. You can find any trait in any breed in any rabbit. I think that's when people end up disappointed in a rabbit when they get a certain breed or certain sex thinking he/she will be the "most docile" or the most cuddly or whatever. You just never know. AND with all that being said, rabbits generally speaking aren't cuddly or docile (docile defined by human expectations). The best bet to find a bun who has a personality you like is to visit a rescue and meet all the rabbits, no matter the breed, and see if one connects with you.

Best of luck!

Arba.net
Look for a show coming near you. You could look @ all sorts of breeds. I almost did that myself but found a nice breeder with a great french lop. They're a larger breed too. Jax is very laid back but the other lop she had was more on the go and very nosey. Jax is lazy and loves his head and ears rubbed. Just because they're big doesn't always mean they're very docile. Big breeds just aren't as jumpy and scared.

Ugh so my bf doesn't want to let me get one now because the lease policy says cats and dogs only. He thinks they will find out and kick us out. Yet he has had an exotic lizard for 2 years here.. Maintence guys have seen him a few time but they dont care.

Last edited:
You should always check with the property owner/manager before getting a new pet. So many pets are given up because their owners didn't bother to make a phone call to see if they could have them. I think you should give it a try since they do allow pets :)

I had a French lop in my old apartment. It had no doors and was an efficiency thing. I didn't tell them I had a rabbit and I can't remember if they ever did maintenance when my bun was around. I was very specific about cleaning and not letting him go to the bathroom outside of his box and he was awesome. All poo and pee went in the box unless he accidentally kicked it out. It really depends on how lenient your apartment people are. I asked the office and they said as long as he isn't a huge mess. I told them he would be in a cage and cleaned up after. There is a risk involved with not telling them and some maintenance person tells on you. It really just depends

There are plenty of Flemish breeders in Texas. But they can be expensive. A guy that I know at a show was selling some and a baby was $60 dollars. Another lady I know sells her Flemish for $75-100 for pets. I love the frenchlops as they are a little bit smaller and just have the squishiest faces. Mine was only $35. Remember these are unaltered rabbits so the cost of spaying and neutering is on your own. Idk if you can wait so long but there will be a show in Austin on May 4th. The next Texas show is on March 22-24 and that is the Texas State Show so there should be Flemish there. It will be in Belton, TX

Last edited:
Well, if I don't tell the apt complex about the bunny then adopting anything is completely out of the question as they always call the land lord.

Latest posts

Back