Finding rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the answer you are looking for is where to find rabbits most people are not going to know specific breeders in your area. Check out the ARBA website.

Pretty sure these 2 posts will not help you find rabbits. You have too do some work, ask vets for breeders, online classified adds, google, ARBA website etc. Posting on a forum and then insulting people trying too help has made you look like a person a good breeder would avoid.

I think you are underestimating how difficult it is to find homes for these babies (Especially without building up a reputation first) and I find that surprising since you said a while ago that you wanted to start a rescue. I think you should look around for potential homes first and see what interest there is.

Also, are you still planning on getting Flemish?

Hello bunny child! I appreciate your ambition but considering your age and the commitment that goes along with a 14 year old (school, extra curricular activities, homework ect ect) I really don't think you should be breeding rabbits at all.Even just three breeds will be lots of work and responsibility not to mention costly! I'm guessing your parents will be paying for food, cages, supplies, vet bills, ect? This is a lot to ask of them. If you really have your heart set in breeding, research and get educated talk to other breeders and make a plan before you go buying tons o buns! I don't want to rain on your parade but it's the truth.
Side note- you should put something down in the bottoms of the cages so the rabbits don't get a condition called sore hocks. :)

If you look at the topic it says I decided I won't do the rescue. Pharfly If i bug you that much then just stop looking at my topics It's that easy. Both the registered rabbitries and find a breeder are not useful one is under repair and the other is not availible yet. No i won't be getting flemish giants. I can't find any yellow dutch near me so i probably won't be getting any. I hate sports and any after school activites aren't an option because i ride the bus. The only other activity i do is violin. Rabbits are my thing I not going to drop I am super organized with charts and lists.

I willget mats for the cages.

I forgot to put this in post above. I will start off breeding my holland lops once all the rabbits I want to sell are sold I will breed my mini satin and sell all the ones I want to sell then I will breed my himalayan and do the same thing in a cycle

I just wanted to offer some kind words. I know you're getting a lot of flack for this post, and I want to let you know that I was in a similar boat when I was your age.

My parents let me get two rabbits when I was 12, specifically so I could breed them, and I was able to sell the babies through 4-H functions (also note that they were NOT purebreds, and I live in a very rural area, so not many people). I actually got a 3rd doe as a stray that summer, as well. Before long, I actually had about 9 crossbred rabbits, 4 of which were second generation rabbits. When I got into high school, I was able to buy my first purebred rabbit (a mini rex) and joined the ARBA. I got my first purebred breeding pair (Flemish) when I was 16. My activities during high school were band (marching practice before school), 4-H and FFA, so like you, rabbits were my "thing".

Because of how remote I was, I only managed to make it to a couple shows a year, and didn't ever earn any legs (Flemish were really rare around here, then). I had fun, but I did have a hard time finding homes for the Flemish kits because I wasn't willing to sell them for pets (and a lot of people who wanted pets didn't want to have to BUILD the cages, which they would've had to do since the only cages sold around here are barely suitable for medium-sized breeds).

I kept track of all my income and expenses, and it was hard to turn a profit, even back then when feed cost half as much as it does now. I was lucky enough to sell almost all of my kits, and had a place for any rabbits I didn't sell. I think I only managed a profit because I entered market trios into the junior auction every fair.

When I went off to college, I had to get rid of it ALL. My mom was actually afraid of the rabbits, my dad had his own hobbies, and my little sister wasn't responsible enough (not to mention having all her time taken up by sports). I was lucky to be able to get some of my friends from 4-H to take cages and crossbreds, but my Flemishes got sold at a huge loss. I tried to convince the college I would be attending to let me bring the rabbits (they have an old rabbit barn, that to my knowledge wasn't even being used anymore because of lack of research funding), but I never got a response.

I was away from rabbits for about 6 years (except for a couple elderly pet rabbits), and am just now getting back into breeding, but it's taking all of my excess income from a decent salary to start back up (that's for 25 total holes divided between 3 breeds).

I applaud your enthusiasm and wish you the best of luck in your endeavor, but I advise you to keep your numbers limited, and only breed for dates that you expect to be able sell on (ready for adoption at a certain show or other event--I bred for fair and Easter with my crossbreds). Your holland lops will probably sell best as pets (the competition for that breed is HUGE, so without a show reputation, you won't find many breeders who want to buy, unless your pedigrees have some of the top names on them). I'm not very familiar with the mini satin and himalayan markets, but I think you'll find that trying to sell them will be difficult.

Have fun with the rabbits you have, enter them in ARBA shows, and look for mates there--watch for who's winning to get yourself the best lines possible. I also check the national breed club show results to see who has the best rabbit of the varieties you want to raise (check the national breed show, and ARBA Nationals results, for the past 2-4 years), and try to get rabbits that have those names on the pedigree.

thank you hillrise that is super helpful. I don't remember who said it but I was thinking of having people pre-order that way I can know that most of them will get homes quick. I Know at least 2 people that are super pet owners that would like some rabbits. the man that Palo ( My mini satin ) is from sells 90% of his rabbits and keeps the best 10% to breed that way the offspring turn out better and better ( I like this style of breeding very much )

thank you again hillrise your advise is super helpful.;)

I am done with both of these topics because all i have been getting is u shouldn't breed u will fail with that many. i have found someone to help, so peace out

That is not all you have been getting, just what you choose to see and pick out from the posts.
I'm glad someone is helping you and I hope they are responsible with proper knowledge.

:peace

bunnychild wrote:
I am done with both of these topics because all i have been getting is u shouldn't breed u will fail with that many. i have found someone to help, so peace out

all you have been getting is the truth. sometimes the truth hurts.

Latest posts

Back