Finding Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you are new to breeding and young, wouldn't it make more sense to dedicate your time and resources to one single breed?

You need to narrow it down to 1 or 2 breeds max! If you get this many breeds I can guarantee you will get frustrated and end up getting rid of some.
You can do what you wish but the breeds you chose are high maintenance. Do you realize the grooming involved with Angoras? Also the cage space required for giant breeds such as flemish?

I want to echo the others about narrowing down to 2-3 breeds. 8 Breeds is a lot, school starts up soon, will you have time too clean 30+ cages and get your homework done? Think about is 8 breeds that is 16 adults and if they each have a litter of 5 that is 36 rabbits, now you will have too seperate the babies at 8 weeks so that is potentially 36 cages. That many cages can easily over whelm anyone, breeding and caring for that many animals is a full time job in its own. I work part time and have 9 cages. 2 bunny, 3 mice, 1 hamster, 1 fish tank and 1 gecko tank. The time and energy for 9 cages, plus I have 4 kids and a house to clean I am exausted.

As a pet only owner I personally would not adopt a rabbit from someone who has and breeds more then just a couple breeds. Smaller barns have much more time too handle and socilize babies and adults. Nova is a mixed breed she comes from a shed that housed 6 rabbits all 6 of the adults and the 4 babies where amazing sweet rabbits, very tame. They all wanted nose rubs. It was easy to tell that they are all getting the attention they need. The place I got Smokey from they had 4 breeding holland lops(Smokey was one of them), 2 breeding mini rex and 5 baby mini rexes. All these bunnies where very sweet, the breeder took each one out let me hold them and cuddle. It was obvious that they all are handled regularly and very loved. The breeder Brian was so proud to show me his rabbits, names, how they did in shows, colors etc.

So please don't think everyone is trying to tell you what to do we are just looking out for your well being and we would be very sad too see you have too rehome rabbits because you took on too much at one time.

I wish you would answer my question about how you will be able to juggle that many bunnies and school work...

Dont question my ability to care for a pet i hav had animals since i was two

my answer to ur question is other kids juggle sports and school, I juggle school rabbit, horses, orchestra, and volunteering and i hav done well in school i am in fact an honor student in school since 2nd grade

I am locking this thread until another moderator has time to step in here and edit some posts and remove inappropriate comments and send warnings to people.

Please remember that we do have rules folks and here is a link to them:

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11860&forum_id=14

Please notice that name-calling is one of them...

Unacceptable Behavior (Subject to Warnings):

- name calling

- ridiculing of another's opinion

- failure to 'agree to disagree'

- the posting of obviously inflammatory topics (eg: rabbit meat, breeder vs. animal rights attacks)

- overly abrasive or negative posts on any topic

- personal vendettas

- 'advertising' or linking other forums or commercial ventures in posts (see Content Rules for advertising policies).

BunnyChild, I am glad that you "have" been an honor student for so long - maybe you can use those skills to not type in text-speak in the forum since we spell things out correctly as much as possible.

Peg posted the rules I did the editing. If you want to say anything else PM. I will be pming anyone that I pulled a comment from.

Since you are a kid I have a few questions for you.

1) Are your parents actively involved in this?

2) How many rabbits do you plan in getting? Not what kind but how many?

3) How many cages do you have right now?

4) From this comment it seems to me you don't plan on getting ALL of what you have listed just what is near you? How far can you go to get what you want?

5) With all those activities wouldn't eat be easier to focus on one breed?

Now this is my feelings on having a large number of animals and a busy life. I have pet rabbits. Currently 8 of my own and 1 foster rabbit. Plus a dog, and several reptiles. I work 4-5 days a week. I take care of my home, these animals,
and my husband. On top of that our families. Most importantly my three god-kids and several younger family members who I am close to. I am so busy, so much going on. In your case you have all the things you listed than caring for the rabbits, and shows. That is a LOT for any one person.

Bunnychild:

I would like to say 2 things, 1 I AM A KID!!. 2 These are just posibilitys depending on what is near me ( i said this on the other topic by me )

JadeIcing wrote:
Peg posted the rules I did the editing. If you want to say anything else PM. I will be pming anyone that I pulled a comment from.

Since you are a kid I have a few questions for you.

1) Are your parents actively involved in this?

2) How many rabbits do you plan in getting? Not what kind but how many?

3) How many cages do you have right now?

4) From this comment it seems to me you don't plan on getting ALL of what you have listed just what is near you? How far can you go to get what you want?

5) With all those activities wouldn't eat be easier to focus on one breed?

Now this is my feelings on having a large number of animals and a busy life. I have pet rabbits. Currently 8 of my own and 1 foster rabbit. Plus a dog, and several reptiles. I work 4-5 days a week. I take care of my home, these animals,
and my husband. On top of that our families. Most importantly my three god-kids and several younger family members who I am close to. I am so busy, so much going on. In your case you have all the things you listed than caring for the rabbits, and shows. That is a LOT for any one person.

Bunnychild:

I would like to say 2 things, 1 I AM A KID!!. 2 These are just posibilitys depending on what is near me ( i said this on the other topic by me )
I said today on the other topic by me that i will stick with the breeds i have and yellow/red/gold dutch ( I don't know what the real name for it is)

1. Yes my parents are involed in my rabbits my mom encouraged me to get different breeds.

2. two for each breed so 8.

3. 6 set up 7-9 not set up

4. thank you for noticing. My parents will drive about as farup as hutchison, and as far down as oklahoma city.

5. like i said on the first question my mom encouraged me to get more than one breed. Also that it the way it works in my town people that show rabbits have more than one breed.

I can't find any yellow dutch near me on the web so i made a list of the other colors i would be enterested in. in order from fav. to pretty cool: Yellow, Chocolate, Blue

Latest posts

Back