Finding Buddy a...well a buddy!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZoeyGirl

Reaction score
Now that Buddy's been neutered and I'm alot more comfortable w/ him and his bunny ways, I've been thinking of getting him a friend in a few months. I would really like to get an all black bunny because they seem to be less likely to get adopted and I'm all for the underdogs..or buns in this case.

I do have a question or two. I've been reading that bonding buns can be tricky. I've done alot of intros w/ girl piggies which all have gone well. I've tried to intro 2 neutered piggie boys which went HORRIBLY wrong (blood, fur, etc). It was not pretty.

So is it easier to bond a girl to a boy or does it matter? Or is it more about personalities? How do I know if Buddy even wants a buddy? Thanks for answering my questions. I really appreciate it!

Oh and how big of a cage would I need for 2 bunnies? And should I look for one that's the same size as Buddy? Or if I found a bonded pair, would that be easier or harder? Thanks again!

:wave: not sure how much help this will be, but i've only bonded neutered bucks to a spayed doe. this has gone well - roxy is now on her second buck. this time she has a toybun some 4 years younger than her. although i still keep separate bowls and sleeping quarters for them they tend to share. cant help with the cage size as mine are free range buns with their own shed (hutch each ) and their own garden.

personality wise both are very similar, which could be related to them being the same breed.

there are a lot of bonding threads on the forum which may help:bunnydance:

good luck:)

I think you'd be lucky to find another boy that will bond with your boy, a girl to bond him to would be the easiest option.

Check with your local rescues and see if they'll let you take Buddy along on a visit to meet some of the bunnies there. Often the best way to find a friend for your bunny is to let him pick!

You can get a good idea of how they will behave together, and whether they are likely to bond well. If they seem to get on okay, or just mostly ignore each other, then you should have a fairly easy bond.

If that's not an option then I'd just try and find a girl who compliments Buddy's personality - if he's laid back, he may be able to tolerate a more boistrous companion, however if he's lively himself then you might need to find a girly who can tolerate him. ;)

As for cage size, I'm not sure how big Buddy is, but generally our pair cages are around the 4x2 nic panel size.

Typically bonding male-female is the easiest, next is male-male. But really, the most important thing is the personality of all buns involved. For this reason, I advocate bunny dating at a rescue first. You'll be able to see how Buddy acts with other rabbits and how they interact with him. I would start by looking at females, but if he's an easy going guy I wouldn't discount males either. I would not recommend getting an already bonded pair - bonding a trio is significantly harder than bonding a pair and it's not a good thing to start out with. You can always get a third at a later date after you have some bonding experience.

Bonding is a stressful time - I'm going through bonding for the first time myself and it's tough! You have to be motivated and stick with it. It also helps to have someone experienced to guide you and if you go through a rescue, they should be more than willing to help you bond (humane societies and the like who don't specialize in bunnies may not be helpful, but an all rabbit rescue will be a great resource for you).

As for cage size, how big is Buddy's cage? I think I remember it being pretty large, and in that case it should be fine to house two rabbits in there as long as they're similar in size. If Buddy's potential companion is a large rabbit, you may need to add some extra room. Size doesn't matter to bunnies and neither does breed, so be open to all sorts of rabbits when you take Buddy dating.

Good luck! It's a stressful experience to get a second but I think it's worth it to give your bun a friend.

eta: I should add some tips for introductions. Here are the things you're looking for in rough order of best to less great: Grooming each other, eating together, grooming themselves, ignoring each other. So basically, two bunnies that ignore each other will most likely bond - it might not be the fastest bond in the world, but they have a good chance of being happy together. Two bunnies that eat together or groom each other have a great chance and may be a quick bond. Humping is also not unusual, but you want to see the humpee sitting still and putting up with it - if the humpee turns around and tries to fight the humper, that's not a good sign.

Make sure to do your introduction and future bonding in a neutral space as bunnies are territorial.

Aww to bad you are not closer to Wisconsin. We got a REALLY nice black female rabbit at the shelter here. Great with being held and petted and has fairly good litter box habits as far as I'm aware. She's spayed and ready to go to her forever home! :D

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15578187?recno=3

I've bonded bunnies a couple times. How long it can take varies. When I was bonding my trio (Domino and Dolla was the pair and Louie was the third) Dolla and Louie, it was like love at first site. However Domino wasn't too thrilled to see Louie coming into the mix and even got in some light "disputes" as I called them. Nothing serious! Eventually they all bonded and Louie and Domino would often be found snuggling together. :D

Good luck on your search and bonding! You've been given good advice so far. :)

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to continue to read as much as I can get my hands on.

Boz, she's so gorgeous! I wish you weren't that far either. I do have friends in Northern IL that help out w/ guinea transport. I don't know if that would be an option but I do have to wait alittle bit since we've just gotten Buddy and he's newly neutered. Plus, I have to break in the hubby re: another bun. ;)

BTW: I'll need to get another bun that is more laid back since Buddy is alittle skittish and territorial w/ his cage.

I find that girls are usually the dominant highly strung members of the pair. If you think Buddy might be highly strung, definitely look for that special laid back girl, or maybe even a very laid back boy who gets along with anybody. You definitely don't want to end up with two Divas in your first bonding experience ;)That's why dating is so important.

More questions about getting Buddy a buddy! I'm sure you all have seen that jasugar is needing to rehome her bunny. She's close to where I live and I'm debating on taking Winifred in to be a friend for Buddy. Of course, my biggest obstacle is my hubby. We took in Buddy about 2mons ago and as recently as this past Monday, I took in 2 girl guinea pigs. I'm not sure if he'd be too keen on the idea of adding another bun but if I can persuade him, I'd like to have my buns, erm...I mean ducks in a row. ;)

So, I have a few questions. First one is that Winifred is not spayed. Buddy was neutered about a month ago. Would I need to get her spayed right away or could I wait a few months or even the first of the year?? I know health wise she's better off and I'll get her spayed but I'm not sure when I could do it.

Second, I did research on bonding and I'm going to do more reading over the weekend but Buddy is very cage aggressive w/ me. He's ok when he's out in the pen but I'm worried about him being cage aggressive w/ her. I know w/ guinea pigs, we do intros in a neutral place (where no one's been GP-wise) and clean the entire cage of the original herds' smell. And if that doesn't work, we do buddy baths. I know that it could take a looong time or not happen at all. My question is since he's cage aggressive is that a sign that it wouldn't work?? He's about a year old and Winifred is 2yrs old. FYI

Oh! I forgot to ask if since he's only been w/ us for a few months; he's been neutered; and he's cage aggressive to me, do you think it'd be too much to add a friend?

I'll take any advice at this time. I'd really like to get him a friend and this seems like it would benefit him and Winifred IF it works. Thanks for everything!!

I have a few more questions. Is it hard to get both buns to go potty in one or do you need potties for each bun? Buddy's potty trained but I'm not sure if Winifred is.

If bonding doesn't work now, could it work in the future when Buddy's older. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Jenn.

I have been bonding my own pair this past month (if you've seen my Penny & Kirby thread that's 5 pages and counting now!), and before that I was on and off bonding a pair of neutered boys which never succeeded.

I know where you're coming from when you want another bunny. Sometimes you just find a great bunny and all you want to do is give it a wonderful home. But consider how it would affect your living situation as well as the living conditions of your own bun. I typically don't advise folks to get a 2nd bun until they've lived with their first bun for 5-6 months. It's an adjustment period, particularly for more difficult bunnies. It's also a good amount of time to make sure you can financially support the bun and kind of understand the full costs of having 1 bun on a fairly regular monthly basis. If you're sure you're ready on that front, there's still more to consider!

Bonding a recently neutered male and an unspayed female will be pretty difficult. Females, as others have said, tend to be more territorial and unspayed females more so. I'm not sure what the personality of Buddy is like other than his cage aggression... is he otherwise a calm and laid back bun? Or is he pretty jumpy all around? It is very important for the buns to meet before you make a decision. You ideally want personalities that complement each other, but a word of warning: what we humans see as the rabbit's personality may not be how the rabbit actually behaves when it is in the presence of another rabbit. That's why bunny dating is so important -- you really want to see how they behave together to see if there's promise to the pair. Spaying the girl would be best, and at a minimum I'd keep them apart another month after she is spayed for the hormones to dissipate. If you try to bond them while the hormones are still raging, they may get a bad first impression and make things all the more difficult down the road.

That said, you do have to prepare for housing and caring for 2 single rabbits for a duration of time. Even the most promising pair of bunnies can take time to bond and they each need their own cage until they are fully bonded. Depends on how big your prospective bunny is, but I usually take a look at the rabbit and make sure that the cage is big enough for the litter box, a place for the bunny to hide and for the bun to lay down length-wise with ease. That's a bare minimum in my opinion. For a bonded pair, my opinion is that the space should be more or less double because they each need to have their own litter box, places to relax and hide away from each other, and a place to sit. Others may have their own guidelines, but I think for a bun to live comfortably even with a companion, they should have their own space to "get away" from their partner. Even the most bonded pairs have their bad days and squabble.

Another thing for you to consider is: how difficult is it for you to handle Buddy? I won't sugar coat this: I had to get *really* good at handling rabbits before I could even attempt to bond my Kirby with any rabbit. He is skittish and really squirmy when I try to pick him up. I used to break a sweat trying to get a hold of his wiggly bunny bum! If Buddy is cage protective, you have to be prepared to get a little beat up because you're going to have to pick him up at least once a day for bonding from his cage to the neutral space. And you have to be able to pick him up or somehow stop him in case a fight breaks out during the bonding sessions. Cage aggression isn't a sign that he won't bond with another bun, but it is a sign that you need to choose a partner carefully, and you have to decide whether YOU can go through bonding him :)

Not sure how old Buddy is - is he at least a year old? If he is not yet a year old, waiting a while longer could make a difference in his personality. Also, it could take about 1.5 months for a neutered bunny to really work his hormones out, so it is possible you could see him mellow out a little more over the next couple weeks.

I hope that helps!

Don't forget that males are still able to impregnante intact females up to 6 weeks after the neuter. Not only will it be nearly impossible to bond, you have to wait a while before you try. Might there be a low-cost spay/neuter near you? Or a shelter that has already fixed females and does bunny dates? I usually say that if you want to get a bunny as a buddy for your current one, you either have to let the bunny pick her out, or plan for taking care of two singles if it doesn't work out.

I agree with the others that bonding an intact female, even after Buddy has gone through 6 weeks after his neuter, will likely be impossible. You will have to keep them separate until at least one month after she is spayed.

His cage aggressiveness doesn't mean he can't have a friend. I know plenty of shelter buns who are cage aggressive but still able to have a friend. However, it may mean that he is fearful or more aggressive by nature, in which case you would need to choose his new friend carefully. He might not get along with just any bun.

I also fully agree with Helen that you should have your first bun for at least 6 months before getting a second. It's so important to bond with your first bun and really get the hang of bunny care before getting a second. Bonding isn't easy and having a good working knowledge of your first bun's body language is so important. And it's true that you'll need to get better at handling for bonding, though I found this came with time. Otto is horrible about being picked up, but after only two bonding sessions he was fine. He's still not ok with it in most situations, but he learned to be still when I put him in his carrier or picked him up from the bonding area. Still, it's tough and stressful and you really need to commit to it.

Thanks to all of you that responded. As much as I'd like to help jasugar out, I think I'll wait. It's not so much that I can't handle Buddy but more so that I want him to get more comfortable w/ us and his surroundings. Plus I need to replenish the vet bill fund account. After having him neutered, the dog's annual bill and a guinea pig's vet bill, I need to plump up that before taking on another bun.

Buddy's said to be alittle over a year old. I don't have any problem handling him or picking him up. I've learned that if I approach him (w/ my hand) above his head slowly then cover his eyes, I can get a hold of his body w/ little difficulty of him running and getting hurt. As far as the cage aggression towards me, again it doesn't bother me. He just runs off when I go in to clean his cage. Or he growls at me. I tend to talk to the animals and tell them that I'm head beotch here and they need to get along. ;)

I've done alot of GP bonding but knew the bun bonding would be more challenging. So, at this point it looks like we will wait. I was more worried about him being lonely than anything else. I know GPs are sociable animals and need a buddy. I just want to do what's good for Buddy. Thank you all for anwering me!

Latest posts

Back