Financial security VS Doing something you love.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mardigraskisses

Reaction score
So it's getting down to crunch time for me to start figuring out what I'm going to do with my life. My parents weren't exactly thrilled when I mentioned going into the military (even though everyone in my family except for my brother and I have served) so I nixed that. Then I thought that being a dental hygienist would be a good job if I could make it through schooling.

But I'm beginning to wonder if selling out and doing something just for the financial security is really going to make me happy. I'd love to have a job rehabilitating animals, but they don't get paid very well. But I know that I'd be able to do it and enjoy it.

On the other hand, if I had lots of money, I could help animals by donating and what not, but I just kind of feel like I'm selling my soul.

I guess my dilemma is: Should I go for something practical or something I'd love?

I'm tired of being poor and unhappy. :tears2:

Do something you love. I am doing something practical and there is a huge gaping hole in my life that I keep filling with rabbits :) But... ya know, it'll only do so much. You have the rest of your life to make money. You're only young once.

I would be a hypocrite if I said you should do something you love and don't worry at all about the money part.

I have a degree in Horticulture, and I totally love doing it, but there is no money in it. With my degree, and a few years experience, I still wasn't making enough money to pay my rent and utilities, much less anything else. Which pretty much made all of my life miserable. Not about not having lots of money, but when I was working 10-hour days, and had to take a second job on top of that, and STILL couldn't pay the bills, much less have anything left over. I was not living well, either.

So now I have a job that I *tolerate.* It's not fantastic, in fact, it's pretty boring. But it's not super-difficult, and although I still don't make a ton of money, I can pay my bills. Not worrying constantly about if I can afford to eat the next day or not is worth a lot in my book.

Personally, I think the time to do the work you absolutely love but doesn't pay much is when you're older, and have some money saved up, and things you need are paid for already. I also think it's good to have education/training that you can fall back on, to get you through tough times. If you were working with animal rehab, but lost your job due to downsizing or something, would you be ok with working retail or something to get by?
On the other hand, if you are doing something practical for the money, could you do volunteer work with animals in your free time?

A lot of people manage to work a regular job that they tolerate, and do the thing they love in their spare time.

Just my opinion. It really depends on you, and what you really want, and about finding a balance in your life. It does help to talk it out and hear other people's opinions.
:hug:

I agree with Beth.

And who says that your job/career has to be your passion? Sure it's good to at least LIKE your career/field, but at the same time... IDK, I just don't want my work to be the thing that I am passionate about. But for some people, it works out that way anyway.

I'm not sure how time consuming a career as a dental hygienist is but if your family wants you to make it big or something, like mine did, the "practical" route is a prison. I went through college with classes that I couldn't stand now working a job that pays well and I am good at but every day I want to just jump out the window if only the windows would open! It's no way to live and then when you get up there you can't find your way back down. No one will hire me to do retail even though I'd rather make less after 5-6 years of experience doing something so technical. I want nothing more these days than to work a 9-5 and actually have a life and enjoy waking up in the morning. This is no way to live either. I hope you find a happy medium.

Latest posts

Back