FINALLY! Our search is over! :-)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
We finally found our French Lop herd buck! Thanks to Barbara Erb, from Lops of Loving Rabbitry, we are the proud new owners of Spanish Oak's Sonny, an opal buck.

We might also possibly be getting his sister, who's a broken opal.

Just wait until I tell hubby I need yet more cages. hahahaha

Thanks, Brandy!

Here are 2 from the breeder's site. More coming, once we get him home. I can't wait to tell Kitty, but she won't be done with softball practice for another 2 hours. *sob*

419841_3547122602492_1405356771_3348933_360502637_n.jpg

432359_3547122282484_1405356771_3348932_924321682_n.jpg

Thanks, everyone! I hope the girls will like him, or else I'll have some problems. LOL The only thing I'm wondering is why he's called opal, when he looks pretty much like Max. Is it the touch of brown behind his crown and on his feet?

Congratulation! Absolutely impressive.

Yes he's called opal because of the fawn coloring feet and crown.

I looked it up before commenting. lol

Wishing you all the best. Hope the girls like him and they make beautiful babies together.

K :)

Thanks, Karen. That's what I thought, but wasn't entirely sure. I keep looking at his picture, then looking at Max. The only thing different seems to be the brown. Max's is white/silvery and Sonny's is brown.

His sister may be pregnant. If she's pregnant, she's due to kindle on Thursday. Barb mentioned giving us a really good deal on Cher and her babies. Cher looks like him, only lots of white. If she's not pregnant, I can go and pick them both up this week.

Now to figure out what to do with Spaz...

Congratulations! I found this researching the opal color it's from a mini rex site but you may want to get a second opinion.

"Do not breed to Lynx, this harms both colors, causing too heavy of a blue surface on the Lynx and very poor ring band on the Opals that result from such a cross. Opal may be bred to Blue or less desirably to Black. "
http://mr-colors.tripod.com/

Sarah, thanks! I'll have to ask, but I don't know if that fits the Flops. I know people breed chins to other colors than other chins. I'll have to ask the genetics list and see what they say. Thanks for the heads up!

He's in Berwick, PA. I just know it's over and up from me. LOL

Sarah, I asked on my genetics list, and the replies were:

"Opal is the dilute of chestnut agouti (lop) / castor (rex) / copper (satin) – A_B_C_ddE_ Lynx is the dilute of chocolate agouti – A_bbC_ddE_ Breeding your Opal buck to your Lynx doe you will get opal carrying the chocolate gene, and whatever else pops up from the unknown recessive genes. Breeding to the black – aaB_C_D_E_ you will probably get chestnut agouti and some surprises due to unknown recessive genes. If your black chin is self – aaB_c(chd)_D_E_ you will probably get chestnut agouti and then the surprises. So to answer your question is the person right about breeding your opal buck to only blue does is NO! You obviously like the buck; so use him, and see what you get."

and this:

"First of all, is your 'lynx' a dilute chocolate agouti (A_ bb C_ dd E_) or a dilute fawn (A_B_C_dd ee)? If it's a true lynx (dilute chocolate agouti), you *can* breed your opal to it, BUT....many Lynx have a white base color on the coat, and the odds of getting decent Opals from such a cross are slim.

If the 'lynx' is actually a dilute Fawn, you can breed them together and see what you get. You can get some nice Opals from such a cross, but you also run the risk of Blue Cream (dilute Tortoiseshell) either now or in the future.

I also raise Rex, and Opal and Lynx are two of my favorite colors! Here's another BUT, though...If you want to keep ANY color, from ANY parents, keep only those which show proper banding and shading and overall coloration from the very beginning.

If you get Opals which start with white base color and moult out to something reasonably close to the Standard, you're not keeping the best animals possible. You want SLATE/RED/BLUE/RED-BLUE (ticking rings) from the base to the tip. The 'red' portion of the hairshaft can vary from a pale fawn color to a bright and gorgeous red-orange. Don't settle for less just because someone tells you that it can't be done! :) (Living proof...my opal Rex have orange rings comparable to most Castors...and so do the Lynx)

I'd say try a breeding with each of your other rabbits and see what you get that is dead-on correct in color as well as good in type and fur. Depending on what recessives you have floating around, you might have something really nice coming out of there."

So I think it comes down breeding for color. Right now I'm breeding to get a good quality show rabbit...colors, while fascinating, aren't a top priority. Eventually it would be great to have a superb rabbit that's as close to the true color as possible. And I think that's where your rex color breeding chart would come in extremely handy!

Latest posts

Back