Finally got a new enclosure

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgaowens

Reaction score
We finally got Oreo’s new home. The only thing I have left to get is a proper litter box. For now he uses the cardboard box under his hay rack. I am currently washing his burrowing blanket as well as a few other blankets he likes. Instead of litter he likes doing his business on an old sheet so I have that cut up into pieces and in his litter box. Let me know if I am missing anything. We are planning on expanding it just a bit more and adding another row to make the walls higher.

Attachments

• 9DEFB83E-05F8-40FC-A1EE-3B6105CA4DD5.jpeg
    9DEFB83E-05F8-40FC-A1EE-3B6105CA4DD5.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 8
I recommend a large mat or something else that serves as a secure flooring for traction. Rabbit's don't have pads on the bottom of their feet, so they are essentially always running around in furry socks! Hopping on a loose blanket on a smooth surface is better traction (as you have in the top right corner), but having something large and unmoving guarantees a space where your rabbit can zig zag a bit and have more secure running space. This definitely applies once you make this enclosure bigger, as it is small and doesn't provide much room to exercise.

I recommend a large mat or something else that serves as a secure flooring for traction. Rabbit's don't have pads on the bottom of their feet, so they are essentially always running around in furry socks! Hopping on a loose blanket on a smooth surface is better traction (as you have in the top right corner), but having something large and unmoving guarantees a space where your rabbit can zig zag a bit and have more secure running space. This definitely applies once you make this enclosure bigger, as it is small and doesn't provide much room to exercise.
He gets out to roam for the majority of the day. I just lock him in at night to keep the mischief at bay. His big blanket is in the washer right now and I plan on getting him a couple different textured rugs to put in there. We just got his pen put together last night and we plan on ordering more panels to expand it for him. And maybe make a small playpen for outside.

I’d put more toys (apple sticks, plastic stacking cups/keys) and a couple ceramic tiles in there too, my rabbits enjoy laying on them when it’s warm out. :)

I’d put more toys (apple sticks, plastic stacking cups/keys) and a couple ceramic tiles in there too, my rabbits enjoy laying on them when it’s warm out. :)
My oldest son works at Lowe’s and is planning on getting a couple of tiles. One for inside the enclosure and one for outside. He has toys they are just all over the living room at the moment. I hadn’t thought about stacking cups but I will get some for him. He also has a stuffed monkey he plays with outside the pen. I am too afraid of him chewing it open to put it in there with him.

I was also wondering if getting those interlocking floor pieces like you use for kids playroom floors would be a good choice for the floor of his enclosure.

I’ve used them before, but Echo chewed on them a bit and they were hard to wash because at that point he wasn’t litter trained. I then put a blanket over them but then it was hard to sweep because, again, he wasn’t litter trained…

I would highly suggest using linoleum. It’s slightly textured so they have grip and it’s super inexpensive and easy to wash.

I’ll add some pictures of what my setup looked like with from puzzle mats vs linoleum for you :)

47AC4F95-202D-4502-A320-86D12EE0FEB7.jpegCCD31511-E0FE-4352-B7CB-15331F275883.jpegFA6A486F-3B85-4F6A-8EC6-86E35361667B.jpeg
The first pic was when I got Echo, the second was once I bonded Echo and Romeo and decided the foam mats didn’t work well and the third is current because I still love using the linoleum ;)

I’ve used them before, but Echo chewed on them a bit and they were hard to wash because at that point he wasn’t litter trained. I then put a blanket over them but then it was hard to sweep because, again, he wasn’t litter trained…

I would highly suggest using linoleum. It’s slightly textured so they have grip and it’s super inexpensive and easy to wash.

I’ll add some pictures of what my setup looked like with from puzzle mats vs linoleum for you :)

View attachment 56212View attachment 56213View attachment 56214
The first pic was when I got Echo, the second was once I bonded Echo and Romeo and decided the foam mats didn’t work well and the third is current because I still love using the linoleum ;)
The only reason I was thinking of them is Oreo is trained and we rent an apartment so we are limited as to what we can do

If you weren't already planning on it, I'd suggest using wood pellets topped with hay for your litter box when you set it up. The old sheets won't absorb urine odor (as I imagine you already know). Here's a tutorial for a good litter setup (from my website):
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/odor-free-home.html
I’ve tried all that and he prefers to dig in it but then uses the sheet. I’ve started lining his box with the sheet and using the litter on top. Starting out with a little litter so he can still see and feel the sheet. I figure I’ll add a little bit more litter each time until he is using all litter and no sheet.

Latest posts

Back