Figuring out the relationship between my cat and my bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiallombardo

Reaction score
Me and my bunny live in Ukraine, so the last 5 months we had to endure the calamity of moving from place to place. My bun took it rather well, I think. It usually takes her about 2-3 days to get used to a new place, and people in general like her a lot.

That being sad, we were living with a cat in the household since April.

With the first cat, I didn't try bonding. Both the cat and the bunny were female, and the cat was curious about the bunny (she would come into the room where the bunny lives, sniff the toilet tray; she would come up to the cage with the bunny during air raids, when we sat in the hallway, and sniff, and poke her nose in). However, when I tried to let the bunny out of the cage in front of the cat, the cat immediately started groaning, similar to the sound they make when they are about to get in a scrap. I tried that twice and then thought it would be a better idea to keep the cat and the bunny separate.

A month ago we moved into a smaller apartment with another cat, this one being male (and spayed). The bunny is 2.5 years old, I should mention, and the cat is 4. Their relationship is different from the one I described above. The cat seemed to initially walk circles around the bunny, just staring at her. The bunny acted as if no one was there :) After some time, the bunny would get interested in the places where the cat resides (there is a cardboard box he likes to sleep in), whereas the cat would sniff and sometimes even eat the straw out of the bunny's toilet. When my bun would hop in the cat's general direction, he would run away, and the bun would sometimes even chase him a little bit. Nowadays the cat runs away only if the bun gets in his face. He also sometimes comes up to sniff her butt, while she's drinking. Other times, though, he would hiss at the bunny, when they are separated by the door of the bunny's cage (the door is metallic, so I cover it with duct tape and cardboard to prevent the bunny from chewing on the bars; hence the cat doesn't get full vision on the bunny from the outside). The hissing would be sometimes accompanied by the cat swinging his paw at where he thinks the bunny is.

Today I witnessed something new -- the cat was "talking" to the bun. The bun was laying on the floor in a "superman" position, and the cat was tucked into his favorite box. The cat then made a bunch of short purring sounds, and his owner noted that the cat usually talks like that to other animals. I didn't see any change in the cat's demeanor, he just lay there and made sounds from time to time.

Overall, it does look like they are bonding quite well, but I have 0 experience with these things, so I'm asking, whether someone can comment on this relationship, or advise on what other things could be done to improve their relationship.

Thank you!

Cats and rabbits can learn to get along, even quite well where they can be pretty good buddies. Each cat and rabbit personality is different, so it just depends on if their personalities are a good match, but also how well the cat is socialized with other animals. It sounds like the cat is figuring out that your rabbit is safe to be around and is warming up to her. You can look at these links for info on cat and rabbit introduction tips.

https://rabbit.org/cats-and-rabbits-2/
https://rabbit.org/can-cats-and-rabbits-get-along/
I will add a caution though. Just be careful about the cat swiping, and especially the potential for a bite, as cat scratches, and bites in particular, carry bacteria that can be extremely harmful to rabbits if a wound occurs. So just use caution in their potential interactions, and always be there to strictly supervise to keep your bun safe.

I just wanted to say, I'm glad you and your bun are keeping safe there and sincerely hope your situation in your country improves soon. Lots of love to all of you enduring this incredibly difficult hardship ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Back