Fighting or playing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellaGracie

Reaction score
I have 2 female 4 month old (approx) rabbits. They have been together from day 1. They have a 10x5 foot cage. Lately they have started chasing each other at high speeds from one end of the cage to the other. This goes on for a few laps and then they stop and eat a bit etc. there is no fur or blood flying but it looks really aggressive. The one seems to be trying to hump the other one! Is this normal at 4 month and for 2 females? Pls help I'm worried!

Yes it is normal, but it is not good. They have reached puberty and are starting to get their crazy teenage hormones! If you can find a good rabbit vet I would get them both spayed asap, and they can live a long peaceful life together as friends.

If you choose not to spay, there is a risk the aggressive behaviour might escalate into fighting. Two unspayed females CAN get along if you're lucky, but they'll never really be friends and should be housed separately when you're not supervising them.

Are you 100% sure they are female though? Breeders often make mistakes with sexing. I recommend bringing both of them to an experienced rabbit vet to officially determine their sex and talk over your spaying options before you make a decision. I say this because you'll really want to make sure you don't have 1 female and 1 male, which will lead to surprise babies, or 2 males, who would be much more likely to fight.

Can you fix them this early? I had them both to the vet recently and he told me they were both female. Thanks for the advice!

Depends on the vet. Some will have a weight or age requirement for girl buns. Some vets want to wait til 6 mo., some will do it earlier but may want the bun to weight at least 2 lbs. Just give your vet a call to find out.

Latest posts

Back