Fighting and re-bonding troubles... :'(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhi Rhi

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm back... unfortunately under bad circumstances. :( Peter and Benjamin had a really bad scrap and I had to separate them.

Here's the whole story so you can get a good idea.

Both bucks, both neutered, both already bonded before I adopted them, slight behavioural problems when it comes to humans due to bad neglect and abuse (before they were rescued) but that's been worked on... They cuddle, and love each other, and purr at each other etc. When I feed them I have to hand feed them and monitor how they eat because they steal food from each others mouths and can become cross if the other has food that they want.

History of fights: They had one scrap before I adopted them and this was due to food. I have seen evidence of a possible scrap from overnight but they were fine upon inspection.

This fight: My Mum gave them both some carrot tops in their run and left them unsupervised... they started chasing each others tails and before I knew it they were fighting. I grabbed the hose and sprayed them with water to stop them. They broke it up but within minutes they were fighting again.

I decided to open up the run and let them into the garden. I thought maybe they'd hop away from each other and get some space. Nope, they stuck next to each other. From observation, Peter was just cleaning himself off and it was Benjamin who started each fight... They continued to scrap and I had to split their cage into two basically so that they'd be separated.

I left them separated for a few days to hopefully cool off. I brought them into a neutral space yesterday, where there wasn't enough space to run away but they did have space apart from each other. They both sat next to each other for about 5 minutes... Peter licked Benjamins ears and I thought "oh thank god!!". Benjamin then placed his head under Peters belly... I don't know if he was asking to be groomed or what, but Peter didn't comply, and then Benjamin attacked. :( I had to separate them and put them back in their parts of the hutch. I checked the fur that was on the floor after the scrap and some of it had flesh stuck to it.

It's breaking my heart! Do I continue to try to bond them? Do I need to take a step backwards and try another approach? Ideally I'd have their cages next to each other so they can still see each other etc but I've had to work with what I've got which is Benjamin has the top (the hutch) and Peter has the run...

Help. :'(

It sounds like they may need a break. Maybe for a couple weeks. These things just happen and a little rebonding needs to be done. Hopefully with a cooloff period, they will be wanting to get back together. You'll want to keep an eye on those wounds to make sure they don't get infected.

It sounds like they may need a break. Maybe for a couple weeks. These things just happen and a little rebonding needs to be done. Hopefully with a cooloff period, they will be wanting to get back together. You'll want to keep an eye on those wounds to make sure they don't get infected.

Do you recommend I leave it a week or so before I try to re bond again? Yeah he seems ok so far, it only looks like a little cut and has a good scab on it so it seems to be healing.

You can try waiting just a week and see how it goes, but they may need a longer break to kind of forget the scuffle they had. When you give it a try though, be ready for aggressive behavior and try and break up anything before it starts, as another fight won't help any.

You can try waiting just a week and see how it goes, but they may need a longer break to kind of forget the scuffle they had. When you give it a try though, be ready for aggressive behavior and try and break up anything before it starts, as another fight won't help any.

Yeah I think I saw some signs that a fight might start... Lifting their tails seems to be a sign? It's difficult to tell... I've got some thick gardening gloves and a little spray bottle of water.

Yeah, tails high, ears pinned back, circling, lunging. If you see any of those I would stop it right there and try a bit later.

Waiting 2 weeks might be better. I've also read that it can be beneficial if, during those 2 weeks, that they cannot even see each other - that they should be completely separate. Definitely don't want to rush it.

You may also like to see a bonding site that has some videos of different types of bonds -- ones that are going well, ones that are difficult, and ones that just aren't going to work. The videos should help you also to see actual samples of what to look for when you do try to bond again.
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

Thank you so much both of you for your help! They're as separate as I can make them which is on top of each other... I won't attempt to reintroduce them for a good few weeks then and I'll keep an eye out for all the signs.

I'll check those videos too.

I'm just praying I can get them back together. It breaks my heart to look out the window and see them separated. It used to bring me so much joy to see them cuddling...

17487_191007414392700_1193962118_n.jpg

992874_194607710699337_567847791_n.jpg

1002233_190502317776543_718105527_n.jpg

mine do the exact same, and i tried and tried re-bonding them. it wasnt until a year afterwards in a big open space they began to bond again, but i still keep them seperated just to be sure.. but when its play time in an open area, thats when they do their catch ups.
both rabbits have to much personality & my vet told me that some rabbits just arent meant to be friends,

Hi again guys... They're still separate and I let them out in the garden in turns. Whilst one is in the garden I put one bun in the run. They do this thing where they chase each other up and down and around, over and over... then after about an hour they lay down next to each other (with the mesh of the run between them) Anyone got any ideas what this chasing is? Is it good? Bad?

It's probably that they think they want to be out playing together, and are wondering why the one in the run can't get out to play. But that's not saying that when they are together, they still won't fight. They may or may not. It's hard to know til you actually start rebonding them. Laying down next to each other through the mesh, is a good sign though.

It's probably that they think they want to be out playing together, and are wondering why the one in the run can't get out to play. But that's not saying that when they are together, they still won't fight. They may or may not. It's hard to know til you actually start rebonding them. Laying down next to each other through the mesh, is a good sign though.

Yeah I figured that was a good sign... :)

I've been giving them pellets too so that they're right next to each other through the mesh. They both seem more than content sat there eating! :bunnydance:

So sorry to see this, I remember these two boys and your dad doing the hutch and I just love seeing them together.

It does happen, I have three boys and two of them who´ve been together since birth have had a few problems and had a serious fall out at Christmas. I had to separate them and then tried rebonding a few times but they were still having scuffles and some fur pulling. I´ve continued on and off and this week, I´ve just fenced off the balcony area so they have more room to run. I put the two who don´t get on in the area yesterday and they have been grooming each other and sitting together both today and yesterday. I have had them out together all week and things were looking better and it is great that it looks like they are back to being OK together. However, I will keep supervising just in case.

The thing I´m trying to say is that you should separate them and keep them like that for a few weeks and then start to rebond on neutral ground. Keep it short at first and make sure there is no serious fighting. I notice mine will circle and nose butt but it sometimes doesn´t get to more than that so let them try and work things out. It may be a longer process than you want but I never gave up on them and knew that if they had been like that before, they would get back to being like that again. So, arm yourself with patience and give them all the time they need to sort things out. I know how you´re feeling and it´s so hard to see them at loggerheads but I´m sure they´ll be back together like they were eventually. Keep us posted on their progress and we´re here to listen to you, give advice if we can and encourage you when you´ve had a bad day.

I am having the exact same trouble with my boys! Rocky and Gidget are 2.5 and 1.5 years old and they have been bonded for about 8 months or so. They have been totally fine until last week when i saw some fur in their cage and then Gidget was seriously mounting Rocky. Rocky got sick of it and they had a scuffle. They had 2 more scuffles after that and Gidget got a big bite to the ear. I have been keeping an eye on them and had them separated for 2 days. They seem ok and they are together again but I am keeping a close eye on their behaviour.

It is frustrating and upsetting I know. They were liek your boys, attached at the hip and so relaxed and happy and smoochy together. I think it is because they are boys and, well, boys will be boys.

That just sounds like my two that fell out. One was inside the enclosure and the other in the living room and they run up and down on opposite sides of the fence and then flop down next to each other. However, when they were out together again, they´d still face off and have the odd scuffle so I think it just means they want to play together but are not sure how to get over their differences. I think you just need to keep them apart for a few weeks and then try and rebond them in neutral territory. After a long nearly 8 months mine are back to normal again, fingers crossed it will be for good. And it looks like it happened after I set up my balcony for them and they were out there together....yes, neutral territory, a bit of stress as it was all new and lots of grooming. I am sure they will find their way back to been best buddies again.

Back