Fibre pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreo and bella

Reaction score
Hi I adopted two rabbits a nearly a week ago and only just getting used getting the right things that they need when the came they had that musli mix and didn't have any hay so I started there hay with there food and I brought pellets that I could add with the mix so I can slowly change there food to pellets anyway I found out the pellets ain't very high in fibre so I need to change the pellets I don't wants to get thete stomach upsets can't someone please advise me thank you. I just want to give they the best live
There two years old any advise would be greatful

Good pellets for rabbits should have at least 22% fibre if I can remember correctly. Muesli mixes are no good, so slowly transferring to better pellets is a good idea.

Thank you I read that musli mix not very good that's why am trying to change the food for them I'll have a look for that when I get them food which will be tomorrow

If you stick to hay based pellets there isn't much you can do wrong, exact % numbers aren't that important when pellets are a rather small part of their diet. It's not like they need them, it's a convienient supplement to make sure they get all they need - which is much less than most think, rabbits evolved on a meager diet.

Rabbit vets in the UK recommend Supreme Science Selective or Burgess Excel. Switch over a period of 10 days, first day 10% new, second day 20%, etc. Pellets should only be a tiny fraction of their diet though. 1 tbsp a day is plenty. They need to be eating hay for several hours a day. Where did you adopt from? I'm astonished that a rescue centre was feeding muesli.

I've managed to get that brand the rabbits have got musli mix but they were having that before I got them so am slowly putting it in there food untill it be time for them to fully eat the pallets without the mix

Rabbit vets in the UK recommend Supreme Science Selective or Burgess Excel. Switch over a period of 10 days, first day 10% new, second day 20%, etc. Pellets should only be a tiny fraction of their diet though. 1 tbsp a day is plenty. They need to be eating hay for several hours a day. Where did you adopt from? I'm astonished that a rescue centre was feeding muesli.

I think that maybe the person surrendered the bun to the shelter fed that mix and they were trying to gradually change their food but didn't get a chance to because the bun was adopted before they could try! it's actually pretty common! <3

I didn't adopted her from a shelter a person was givening them away was going to get a baby bunny but this person wanted to get rid of them so I said that I take them on I did my research with a rabbit needs unlimited hay which them both didn't have any of that and can with just musli style food so for there best interest I have been given then unlimited hay and now in changing there food which is a slow process ATM also now both indoor but separated because there cage wasn't to big so in lots of changes want to give them the best I can in diet and lifestyle

Hi hope you could see this it's been four days since I started the rabbits on these pellets and there not choice to eat them.and not this musli mix I think they now good quality lol so I was thinking to scrap the musli mix all together and feed them on the pellets considering they really like it and no diarreha is there any suggestion thank you

Hi hope you could see this it's been four days since I started the rabbits on these pellets and there not choice to eat them.and not this musli mix I think they now good quality lol so I was thinking to scrap the musli mix all together and feed them on the pellets considering they really like it and no diarreha is there any suggestion thank you
Yes, sounds like you can dump the muesli. Limit the pellets so they eat lots of hay.

Thank you they both love the pellets which is a good thing and eating there hay too still trying to see which veggies suit them

Thank you they both love the pellets which is a good thing and eating there hay too still trying to see which veggies suit them
Fresh herbs are best. They can have pretty much all of them except chives. Introduce one at a time and in small quantities. The biggest mistake people make with bunny diets is feeding too many pellets and too much veg and fruit which really should not be given at all. Fresh food should not be more than the size of their head per day. They should eat at least their body size in hay.

Latest posts

Back