Female, Unspayed Rabbit has pulled her fur out: URGENT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turbo (hubby named her and don't ask what two of the babies names are lol) has turned back into her sweet self again too. She was still rather sweet while pregnant but she had quit giving us kisses. Now that she had her babies we get kisses again.

Yeah, Little Girl has stopped trying to kill me whenever I reach into her cage. She won't give me kisses, but she's a LOT sweeter.

I have noticed only one small issue. She doesn't quiet understand that she has to keep their little bottoms clean and all four of them had poop stuck to the butts. I cleaned two of them, then stuck the other twos' butts in her face and she licked them clean. She's learning, it IS her first litter, after all.

I'd be popping a nest in there with her. I hate to admit it but I let a litter of babies together too long and the same thing happened at four months old.

Question.

My babies are a week old as of today. They're all super active, squeaky, and fat. All my cat have at least seen them and my older one came up and sniffed them as I held them.

My question is, when do I need to start letting them have pellets and water?

All the cats have been around rabbits their entire lives, they aren't going to hurt the babies. I mean, I don't let the cats have access to them whenever they want, but if I'm holding the babies and the cats come up to sniff or see the babies, I let them. And the mama rabbit doesn't care if the cats are there. I mean, before she had her babies [before I knew she was, in fact, pregnant] my cats would sit in a chair with her and sleep beside her.

Usually the babies will start to first nibble on the hay in their nest right around when their eyes open at 10-14 days. Once their eyes are open and they venture out of the nest, they will start to nibble on mom's food and will eventually start drinking water as they get older and are eating more solid food, so make sure the mom's water is accessible by them. As they get older and more active, their food intake will also increase so make sure they have access to plenty of food, especially hay. Hay will help ease them onto solid foods and reduce the chances of them developing intestinal illness. Make sure the hay is good quality hay and not spoiled at all.

If you haven't read through the link I posted, I would suggest doing so as it explains what to expect as the kits grow.

I read that.

But I have noticed that either Mama or one of the babies is peeing on the other three. Can I give them a wipe-down with a wet warm cloth as long as I keep them warm and dry them after?

change out the bedding and move the nestbox or nesting area over about three inches. usually stops the behaviour.

I changed the bedding last night. Another issue. All but three of my babes have opened their eyes. Not worried about Miss Pink, they're only 11 days old, she has time, still. One of the other, Spaz, however, has only 1 and a half eyes open. By that I mean, his right eye is only half open. I did hold a warm wet cloth to it, and he freaked out[hence the name Spaz] by squawking and jumping.

They are all named! Spaz, Dots, Miss Pink[watch her turn out to be a boy] and Dora. I've decided Dots, Spaz, and Dora are all boys[yes I know Dora is a girl name, I don't care] and Miss Pink is the only girl.

I just.....decided Miss Pink is a girl and the others are boys XD She just looks like a girl bunny lol. For all I know, Pink's a he and the other three are girls.

Also, a question. Pink is being a witch to poor Dots. How do I stop her from bullying him?? She's a mean little brat.

Thought I'd give an update. The babies are almost 5 months old, I've kept them all. I let them nurse for almost 16 weeks, and separated them when the boys started trying to hump the girls and mom was getting mad at the babies. Pink[male, white with brown] is a total mama's boy and I have him where he can still see and sniff Mama, but not get to her. Spaz[Female, lionhead fur, lop ears, black and white] and Dora[Female, lop ears, black and white] are the sisters and they're getting along amazingly, so they share a cage/playspace. Spaz tries to act tough, but when she's scared, she goes to hide behind Dora. Dora is getting too big for her britches, she thinks she's a grown rabbit when she's still a little girl and she's got an attitude problem, at least with me, she's sweet to Spaz. Dots[Male, lop ears, black and white] was a bully, but he's calmed down since then and he's just a sweetie pie boy.

It's so good to hear that things are going well, bunnies are healthy and you have kept them all, I think that's amazing. :)

Latest posts

Back