Female, Unspayed Rabbit has pulled her fur out: URGENT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StormyB

Reaction score
So I just looked in my 4 month old, unspayed female lionhead's cage. She's pulled her fur out. Do female unspayed rabbits do this when they arent pregnant, or is this a sure sign of pregnancy?

could be an unexpected pregnancy.

could just as easily be a false pregnancy. :) Time will tell... you will either have babies within the next week or so, or not. Both will tell you something.

I only got her 2 weeks ago. I also have the possible father, they are separate, but were not separate before I got them.

Given that she's not spayed and was with a male rabbit, I'd be prepping for some baby buns. The chances are pretty high.

:yeahthat: You could palpitate her belly to see if she has kits or take her to a vet. I had a spayed Dutch that would stuff boxes with shredded newspaper to make a nest when she was out, so it is possible she just got the urge but it's also possible she bred with the male before they were separated.

I did feel her belly and felt nothing but.....
at
WE HAVE FOUR TINY NAKED BLACK AND PINK BABIES!!!!!!!!

Little Girl is such a good mama. I'm so proud of her, she had a fit when I went to check how many there were and that they were all alive. All the babies squeaked at me when I picked them up and one little stubborn baby keeps trying to climb out whenever I cover him/her up. How do I convince Stubborn Baby to stay covered up? I held him on my chest for a bit and he quieted but freaked out again when I went to put him back. All four have round bellies.

Yep, cardboard box filled with a combination of cedar wood shavings, a few varieties of hay, and Little Girl's fur. I've attached it to her cage[which is actually a huge dog crate] and she lays at the far end of the crate staring towards her nest never taking her eyes off it.

Please take the cedar out. Cedar is bad for small animals due to the fumes from the oils in it. It can lead to respiratory and other health issues. If you want to use an absorbent material under the hay, use kiln dried pine or aspen shavings. Even some layered newspaper will work. Then you want a nice thick layering of soft hay, with a hollow towards the back of the box with the fur piled above it. This hollow under the fur, is where the babies can nestle down into to keep warm.

The box needs to have sides high enough that the babies can't crawl over them and get out of the box, but low enough that mom is able to hop into the box to feed them. The box needs to be small enough that the babies can't crawl very far and get separated from each other, or they can get chilled, but large enough that mom can hop in to feed without hopping on top of the babies, and large enough for her to be able to turn around in the box.

You also need to gradually start increasing moms pellet amounts over the next week, as she needs more nutrition for nursing. She should end up with close to unlimited pellets, along with being fed unlimited grass hay.

You'll want to check the babies daily, especially for the next 24-48 hours, to ensure they are being fed by mom. At least once a day you should see them with big round bellies.

Congratulations on the babies.

24 hours old update: All four babies have full bellies, Little Girl still doesn't like me touching her babies, she hovers about a foot away staring at me every time I touch the babies. Mister Stubborn still doesn't want to stay in the nest and it may be just me, but they seem bigger that yesterday. Little Girl is such a good mama, very protective and keeping those babies warm and full. I'm so proud of her.

Photos to follow.

until the kits are three weeks old, feeding mom at three times her normal ration is a good way to go. At three weeks babies should be out of the nestbox and will be starting to eat with mom. Increase the ration by an extra portion in accordance to how much the young are eating. If you are feeding mom green feeds then the babies will naturally develop the gut flora they need for it. You don't need to worry on the babies have green feed if you already have mom eating them prior to them starting to eat it on their own.

Start the babies are solid food as soon as you can JUST IN CASE something happens to mom. Weird things happen sometimes sad to say. Starting them early means when you feed hay, drop some in the box for the babies...not much, just a bit. at 10 days old toss some pellets in the nestbox or plain uncooked oatmeal. It's good for them. :)

Ever since she started pulling fur, I've been giving her unlimited food. She usually empties her bowl once a day, with a handful or so of hay and occasional treats.

We had a surprise litter of lionheads this past Sunday. She showed no signs of pregnancy. She had also built nests in the past with false pregnancies so I thought nothing of it. I know how you feel about wondering until you saw the babies. I am however lucky enough momma doesn't mind me touching and checking on her babies and she just kisses my arm and hand while I do it. How are your baby rabbits doing today?

They're all good. I'm following the thread you posted, because I do have a little baby who is skinnier, but she's not skinny. She's still got a fat little belly. she's just the runt of the litter. My Little Girl was only ever maybe 2 pounds and now she's about a pound and I still have no idea where she was hiding those four fat babies because their father is a 7 pound French lop, twice Little Girl's size and really, these are big for newborn babies, considering how little Mama is.

Our bunnies can be cyber best friends!! How many do you have?

They're all good. I'm following the thread you posted, because I do have a little baby who is skinnier, but she's not skinny. She's still got a fat little belly. she's just the runt of the litter. My Little Girl was only ever maybe 2 pounds and now she's about a pound and I still have no idea where she was hiding those four fat babies because their father is a 7 pound French lop, twice Little Girl's size and really, these are big for newborn babies, considering how little Mama is.

Our bunnies can be cyber best friends!! How many do you have?

I have 4 baby lionheads, one female lionhead, and two male lionheads.

Ah. I've got four lionhead/lop babies, Mama Lionhead, Papa Lop, and a something or other male. [He looks like a regular wild rabbit, just a golden tan color]

Little Girl had became such a sweet little rabbit since she had the babies. I've only had her two weeks and I thought she, was just a mean rabbit. Turns out she was just a hormonal pregnant female. She's such a lovey little sweetie. I picked her up and she made herself all comfy on my chest. <3

Latest posts

Back