Female still marking…

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NotaCocoaPuff

Reaction score
My make and female are both fixed. They were bonded for many months but after several rebonding attempts and subsequent violent fights I decided it was safer to keep them separate. We built my male a large 8’x4’ cage and he’s loving it. My female is free roam however she is very keen on marking the entire room Oliver’s cage is in. At first I didn’t mind but it’s been a few weeks and I’m over cleaning up the mess. Plus it’s ruining the wood floors. I’ve tried getting various floor detractors that might deter her but she’s persistent. Does anyone have any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? Should I just give up and put her back in a pen?

Attachments

• IMG_3081.jpeg
    IMG_3081.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
If she is urinating everywhere, that's no fun. If she's just dropping poos, that's to be expected and should get better with time. However, if she's been urinating around the whole room, it could be that she was given too much space at one time. For litter training, she should start out in a confined space. Once she consistently uses the litter box in the confined space, then her area can be gradually expanded. As long as she is consistent, the space can continue to expand. If this was not done initially, it could be the source of the problem.

If she is urinating everywhere, that's no fun. If she's just dropping poos, that's to be expected and should get better with time. However, if she's been urinating around the whole room, it could be that she was given too much space at one time. For litter training, she should start out in a confined space. Once she consistently uses the litter box in the confined space, then her area can be gradually expanded. As long as she is consistent, the space can continue to expand. If this was not done initially, it could be the source of the problem.
She has very good litter habits… except in the room Oliver is in. She only poops and pee’s outside the litter box in his room. When they were bonded there were never accidents. It was only after their bond was broken.

So she's either upset they're separated and 'protest' peeing, or she's not and trying to mark the boundaries of her territory so he knows to stay out. You can try waiting it out. She may settle down after several weeks. Though I would recommend putting down a waterproof floor barrier for now, to protect your floor.

Disposable puppy pee pads work fairly well, provided your bun isn't prone to chew them at all (digestive blockage risk). Washable puppy pee pads are an option as well, but could be semi expensive. A tarp, vinyl cloth, or thick plastic sheeting may work if she doesn't try and chew holes in it, and is relatively cheap. Sturdier, chew resistant, but more expensive, would be to put down a cut of lino (vinyl) flooring. Whatever you use, make sure it's going to be safe for your bun if she's prone to chewing.

You could try putting litter boxes down next to his pen in the spots she most often pees, to see if she'll use those instead. Sometimes it's just about having litter boxes in the right place(s), where a rabbit has chosen to pee. When rabbits are separated by a barrier, that spot is often directly opposite the barrier, of the other rabbits litter box.

If those options don't work, you may need to block complete access to the room, shutting the door, or a baby gate may work. If this still doesn't resolve the issue, you may need to follow Blue Eyes suggestion of restricting her space until she reestablishes good litter box habits, then gradually expanding her space again, as she maintains those habits.

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html
Lastly to consider is a potential medical issue like a UTI. But this is less a possibility if she is consistently peeing in certain spots, as opposed to random spots, and getting a wet bum from dribbling urine.

My female pees everywhere but the litter box and has since I had her spayed. She never did before. My male is with her and he’s the only one who uses the litter boxes now. They have a much bigger space than that. Looks kinda small for a bunny. No room to run. Maybe she’s upset she’s not with him or maybe the spay? Not too sure. I have pee pads under plastic sections that snap together. To help keep it off the floor. The other thing I thought was, I don’t know her age and maybe it’s old age ( my girl) but it seems to have started right after her spay

Back