Female Bunny not eating pellets, losing weight.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another example of behaviour:
Right now I gave their portion of pellets and she only ate like 10-15 pieces, went back to her little house and after 5 minutes she went eating hay.
So yeah im really puzzled..........

She is accepting the cuni adult pellets but not the oxbow one......
(Of course I only gave here a tiny piece, since her stomach is not used to it)

Check the ingredients of the pellets. Most pellets have basically the same ingredients so it may not be as critical to switch them over gradually. Whenever I've tried mixing pellets as recommended, they only pick out the new ones if they like them better anyway, so switching gradually has never really worked for mine.

I am not hearing that you've offered her any wet herbs or salads, or otherwise gotten more fluids into her as I've been urging. Since she's taking an antibiotic, hydration is even more important now, since antibiotics will slow down the gut and decrease appetite, as well as dehydrate. Keep checking her weight, stomach and poos.

I'm sure your regular vet just doesn't want to give advice without seeing her. I would schedule an appointment as soon as possible and see if they will give her subcutaneous fluids.

Basil leafs is what she gets from time to time. She really likes that. Also CC 3x times per day (3ml per session), and yesterday we started giving probiotic as well (3 hours after giving her the antibiotic).

My main reason not giving much fresh stuff is that previously they had problems when eating fresh grass/salads.

Also on switching pellets: She would only eat the new one, soooo. Maybe gradually offering her? Like 1 2 pieces a day. and then increasing it?

I can no longer reach the Vet (They are telling me that he will call me back but he doesnt, and Ive been trying to reach him for like 3 days).... We reached the 7th day of the antibiotic cure that was prescribed (to give 2x for 7 days) so we are no longer giving her. Yesterday she ate hay for 4 hours almost non stop. (!!???) And accepted a few pellets.
Today morning she had diarrhea again (more like soft poo, so not pure diarrhea).

Finally was able to talk to the Vet. He told me that wait a few days she might get better since we stopped the antibiotic. If she doesn't get well, maybe we can do an xray or teeth recheck (teeth was checked 3 weeks ago)

Latest posts

Back