Feeling sad, Kellie my African Grey sitting on 3 eggs...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earthquake! 4.1! This after our winter storm weather & next week we are to get up into the 80s! Crazy yoyo weather here!

Water Changes are the big thing for fish. Most people think because they have a filter they aren't needed. Hubster has a 300+ dollar canister filter plus 2 Hang on back filters on his 210 tank and STILL does water changes almost weekly. But he has large fishys with a huge bio load. Bettas are like goldfish and release a lot of ammonium. Nitrites explode if you over feed and the food just sits and rots. Already have the mixture for dirty water if you aren't careful. Young fish should be fed every day but your older fish can go about every three days or longer. This helps with your nitrites plus if you go away for the weekend or have to move you wont jack up your fish. Hubby quits feeding the fish about a week before we move so they dont poop in their coolers and poison themselves on the car ride.

Thanks, Kmaben! I need all the help I can get should I get another betta. Still debating on getting another beta but I must admit I'm leaning more to one more try! lol Once I feel I have everything needed & ready for a new betta.

It sucks too because a lot of the bettas you get out of petsmart/petco already have issues. They're going to die no matter how well you take care of them. Is that always the case? Certainly not but why start off with a possible handicapp? Some local fish stores will carry bettas and they can actually tell you what breeder they came from. Worth a shot. Not a betta fan myself but they are a great starter fish. Dont always take the advice of local fish store people until you've figured out who your good ones are and who your bad ones are.

Thanks again, Kmaben. Gandalf was a Petsmart betta. I used to get all of my bunny supplies there, now just my cat litter &/or new litter pans. I have to admit of the local pet stores, Petsmart has the better heavier plastic litter pans. Thinking I will try the wood pellets for horse stalls to lower cost of litter. Maybe do a gradual switch with only a small amount of horse stall pellets mixed in with the more expensive paper cat litter to start.

Latest posts

Back