Feeling really discouraged

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap08m

Reaction score
My fiance and I are getting really discouraged. We've had Reddit for 3 months and Demitri for 2 months. I understand that bunnies bonding to humans take time but I must confess that I expected a little more improvement. Reddit really cant stand being touched. So does Demetri. Shes not social at all. If I try to interact with her she bites me. I don't know what else I can do. I've built them a beautiful cage and they're allowed to run around quite a few hours a day (which they pretty much stay in their cage. I sit down in their area and let them smell me but they never really interact. Anyone got any words of advice. I know the "hang in there". But any advice would be helpful
0812121627a.jpg

Whidbey, my white bunny, hates being touched or held.
But, I've found if wrap him in a blanket he'll relax a little and I can hold him. I try to make sure to let him go before he starts to struggle.

Are both fixed? My female was the devil until I got her fixed. Even now she only likes a one finger stroke on the nose or cheek. That's it. It took me months just to get to that point. She wont bite but she'll growl or box when she's unhappy with me still. But she does it to everyone in the household so I dont get to bumhurt. She got a lot of banana chip bribes as well. A few people recommended pushing her head to the floor like a dominate bun would do when she came at me aggressively. I had to work up the courage for it but it seemed to help. With the aggressiveness anyways.

Good luck. I know it can be frustrating. I was ready to take her to an exorcist for the longest time or "forget" and leave the back door open while she was out. It took me a long time to read my bad rabbit but we're comfortable now and I love her.

They are beautiful bunnies. It's really hard when you have so much love to give and they just won't let you in!

My first rabbit and I had an incredible bond. She followed me everywhere and wanted to be held and petted more than anything. She passed away three months ago and I now have two new rabbits--a bonded pair, male and female. It was disconcerting to me when they first arrived and they didn't trust me the way my first bunny did.

Sometimes it does take time. What has worked for me is to sit on the floor reading a book or newspaper and let them free range around me. If I pretend to ignore them, they'll get curious and start to sniff and climb over me. While I'm down there, I give them a treat or two and gradually they relax and I try a pet if they seem receptive. I think it works best to let them come to you. When they come close, I whisper to them and they seem to like that.

I try not to have expectations about how it will go. The only goal is time together and the opportunity to watch them being themselves. The more time I spend with them, the more they let me see them being bunnies. That's worth celebrating. That's fun! And that's how they show their love:)

I think it helps to follow their lead. Just relax and know that your bond will grow if you give it time. Some rabbits are more snuggly than others but a bond will eventually grow. Early life experiences can effect how long the process takes.

You might also try hand feeding them some of their greens, too. Reading aloud with them in the room or talking on the phone really helps for some reason. Also, bringing new and interesting things in and going through them together helps...a huge paper bag filled with smaller boxes, rattley toys, maybe a veggie or two, paper, phone book;), whatever...and sit on the floor and let them watch you rumple through it and pack and unpack it:) A big hit in my house.

Gradually, they learn you're a predictable source of treats, magical toys, interesting adventures and food. They'll learn you have amazing powers that can be very useful to them;)

I think it really matters how much time they have out of the cage and how much time they have with their human. It really helps if their human is part of a nice long playtime.

Hope it all goes well and you start feeling some real bunnylove real soon! They may not be able to show it yet but I know they appreciate all you're doing for them.

Ditto to what Katherine said. I couldn't have said it better :)

I'm so sorry the bonding isn't going well. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be. Agnes is so very friendly and I would be sad if she wasn't!

Time and patience is the key I think. Take katherines advice and "ignore" them and let them explore you.

Best of luck!

Latest posts

Back