Feeding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaTheRabbit

Reaction score
Hi
I got 8 weeks old Lionhead. When i picked her up from a breeder, this lady told she shouldnt be feed by veggies and fruit till she is 6 months. I would love to give her some trits, anything besides dry food and hay. Any advice?

Wait until she's older! I've heard 12 weeks and I've heard 6 months. I don't know which is "right" but I waited until 12 weeks.

When you do start doing greens and fruit, go slow. Start out with small bites at first, then check their poop to make sure there is no soft poop or stomach upset. If everything is okay, you can give her more. But only do one variety at a time. I did one green per week until she had a few that she could eat and now I mix them up. Same with fruit, you have to start off slow, a few bites at a time.
I started out with cilantro, I think it tends to be easier on the stomach than some other things.

I give my lionhead boys 2 little pieces of dried papaya a day! u can find it at petsmart in the bunny section!! it helps to prevent wool block!! I started giving them it at 10 weeks old and they do fine with it!!! oxbow makes a alfalfa based crunchy treat I also give them that once a day too until their old enough to start fresh fruit and veggies!!

This is a good idea, i will go to petco on tuesday and buy her something. I will wait till 10 or 12 weeks old just to be safer.

Black sunflower seeds make good treats and are good for shedders and other coats. Though doń feed to many, they're really fattening. Also, plain Cheerios might also make good healthy treats that won't upset young stomachs.

Barley rings are good treats for bunnies and baby bunnies can have them too, but they're quite fattening so try not to feed a lot! My bunnies love them! Rabbits don't really need fruit in their diet so I would add fruit at all IMO.

Back