Feeding Routine

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugsy12

Reaction score
1st feed - is at 5:30 am which includes 1/4 cup of pellets and (carrots, apple, asparagus, celery, brocoli)

2nd feed - is at 9:00am Which includes same "as above"

3rd feed - is at 4:30pm which includes 1/8 cup pellets and (carrots and celery and maybe brocoli

And thats all i feed them both (LuLu, Oreo) LuLu is 4 months and 2 weeks old and Oreo is 9 and 1/2 weeks old

And they get 7- 9 hours free roam everyday in my back yard.

Heres the URL -----> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/190601269978?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Why do they need so many feedings?

I'd just stick with 2, or your rabbits are going to get overweight. ;) They should be getting free fed at that age, but absolutely no veggies at 9 weeks old. ;) Hold off on the veggies until they are about 6 months old, and introduce slowly, and not all at once.

ETA: Is your yard rabbit-proof? And predator-proof? Is that playtime supervised?

Emily

Till about 6 months of age, they should be free fed pellets (plus always unlimited hay). By 6 months, they should be cut back to 1 or 2 feedings a day (many people feed once in the morning and once at night) based on their weight. The rule of thumb is 1/4 C pellets per day per 5 lbs of rabbit.

There's debate about when rabbits should be introduced to fresh vegetables. Young rabbits' digestive systems are quite delicate and new food can cause serious problems. But I think anywhere between 3-6 months to start introducing veggies is fine. Start with greens like parsley, mint, or romaine first, then move on to the more adventurous stuff like broccoli and asparagus after 6 months. Broccoli can cause gas and I wouldn't recommend it for young bunnies at all.

Apples and carrots should be fed sparingly, as treats. A small piece of each per day is plenty. And again, wait till they've been eating greens like romaine and parsley for a few weeks, etc. before introducing sugary treats.

Also, I noticed you're in Australia, so be aware that spring-time grass can be quite rich and can cause digestive upset in rabbits if they get too much too soon. Especially young bunnies.

Hope that helps!

Rue

You don't mention hay? They need this available all the time, even if they have access to grass when exercising.

I'd disagree with free feeding pellets until 6 months, the amount your feeding now sounds fine.

I'd try to gradually introduce a wider range of fresh foods, go for leafy greens as carrot/apple are quite sugary. A bigger range also gives more variety of vitamins/minerals.

Bonkers gets fed 3 times a day too. Pellets in the morning when I leave for work, then he gets an afternoon salad consisting of romaine, red leaf and cilantro, then a tiny bit of pellets at night around 10 right before i go to bed. He has hay available at all times. I calculate that he is around 5 or 6 months old. Should I cut back?

It depends on how much pellets you're giving him. The rule of thumb is 1/4 C per day per 5 lbs of rabbit. Gus weighs 7.5 lbs and gets 1/3 C of pellets per day. I used to divide them into two feedings, but now I just feed them at night (he gets a salad in the morning, plus he has his hay).

Hope that helps!

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
You don't think the 9 week old should be free fed, Tamsin?

Rue
Nope, I wouldn't free feed at any age, I don't think they need it.

A wild rabbit grows up just fine on only spring grass; for pets alfalfa or a small amount of pellets can match that and provide the additional protein for development. I don't think they need unlimited pellets any more than an adult does - particularly not as late as 6 months. Pet rabbits also tend to wean a bit later than wild ones which again already ups available protein/nutrition whilst they are <6 weeks.

Pellets were designed to fatten up commercially farmed rabbits so they grew fast and made more money. Baby pet rabbits have been growing up just fine for a lot longer than pellets have been around :)

We don't need our pets to grow fast, I think it's much much more important for a baby rabbit to learn good eating habits i.e. eat hay (or grass) and lots of it, so they don't end up as adults that are reluctant to eat hay. I think it's also more likely to result in healthy teeth and gut as an adult.

Good points. I don't know how often we see new members coming on here asking why their rabbit won't eat hay, then finding out they're filling up on pellets!

How much would you recommend young rabbits are fed? By their current weight? By the weight they'll be when they reach adulthood?

Thanks!

Rue

I feed my rabbit 1/4 cup of pellets in the morning. I give him hay 3 times a day so that he has an unlimited supply of it. I give him about 2 carrots a day, but I think you should wait until your rabbit is 6 months to feed him veggies

Ps. Our rabbits have the same name!

Yep, and they don't get the habit, so even when you reduce pellets and try to swap to hay it can be really hard to persuade them that it's edible!

Yes, if you start around the portion size they'd eat as an adult as they are smaller it's going to even out about right. Like with adults though it will vary depending on if they are inside/out, exercise level and what else they are eating. If they look a little skinny feed a little extra, if they are lively, with good looking coats and weight and eating lots of hay then you're doing right. Keeping in mind babies do look a little more leggy than an adult, as they haven't filled out yet.

I disagree that what they are getting now is fine. The 9 week old should most definitely be free fed, and no veggies and fruits whatsoever.

The others should be limited right now for veggies/fruits. Only one or two different kinds, offered on a limited basis. No cups of veggies/fruits yet until they're older.

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
The others should be limited right now for veggies/fruits. Only one or two different kinds, offered on a limited basis. No cups of veggies/fruits yet until they're older.

Emily
I'm curious, what's your reasoning for restricting the vegetable intake of young rabbits?

I agree with introducing new types gradually but I don't understand the benefits of reducing/restrict variety when they are already used to them - that seems a backwards step.

Latest posts

Back