Feeding mother rabbits goats milk, good or bad idea?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
Someone suggested feeding my doe goats milk to help her produce milk. I have a rabbit book that suggests the same thing (but that book isn't that great) . . .

Does this sound ok or could it make her sick?

Adult rabbits aren't meant to process dairy so I imagine this isn't a good idea (it's not something I've ever heard of and sounds like an old wives' tale). Hopefully a breeder will come over and confirm.

dont does produce milk all on their own without any needed help?..thought so..:)..we have a cottontail rescue here and the old lady who runs it feeds the motherless babies with goats milk...their hard to keep alive but the goats milk does the trick for her.

My doe possibly didn't have much milk at the start, cos her babies were kinda wrinkly looking, but now they're fine. :)

I just gave her more dark green leafy veg in the end and didn't bother with the goat's milk in case it made her sick.

My knowledge about breeding rabbits is fairly limited but I've taken several classes on animal nutrition and in my opinion feeding a mature rabbit goat's milk would do more harm than good. Increasing the doe's regular diet to free choice should provide enough nutrition to allow her to produce plenty of milk.
I have heard of goats milk being used in a milk replacer for kits and it would be much more appropriate in that situation.

Feeding an adultrabbit goat's milk to helpher produce more milk is about the same as a human mother drinking milk to produce more milk to breastfeed. Doesn't work that way. ;)

As was said above, adequate fresh water and a healthy diet ought to be enough.

Hope that helps!

Rue

The babies were extra wrinkly the first few days, they looked quite dehydrated and a bit thin. But her milk must have started flowing better because they're perfect now :)

Latest posts

Back