Feed and Seed store pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moochyesh

Reaction score
What are you opinions on buying pellets from a feed and seed store?
I watched a lot of people talking with the mindset "The more expensive the better" But when I compare the ingredients of their food and mine the percentages and ingredients match up?
The only difference I see is that I pay 10 dollars for 25 pounds and they pay 14 for 5 pounds...
And when you have 5 mouths to feed the pet store brands are not really the most wallet friendly option..
So is there any real argument here? Is the pet store food better? Or is it all just a flashy package?..

Depends on the ingredients. For adult bunnys who dont breed or show youre better of stayi g away from pellets that use alfalfa in them. Youd be looking for a 12-14 % protein pellet. Make sure its pure pellet not a mix thatt adds grains seperate. If you can find one that doesnt use corn in the ingredients that a bonus.

I find most pellets at a feed store are alfalfa based with fillers high protein high calcium and with adult buns that will cause health issues over time. Are you offering unlimited hay? What kind?

Last edited:
when deciding if I think a pellet is good enough to feed, I ignore price tag and look at the analysis and ingredients - cheap doesn't necessarily mean bad or unhealthy.

Im using costal Bermuda hay, They love it and It is what they were eating at the breeders so we thought, Why change it.. We get it in a big bale for 7 dollars

Nothing wrong with that type of hay, was only asking to see if you were giving alfalfa hay or standard feed store hay which is often a mixture of different grasses with alfalfa.
The base of your bunnys diet should be the hay and a lower protein hay like what you're offering or timothy, orchard, oat, botanicle, meadow, etc etc.

As per the pellets, just look at your ingredients then alalysis %'s.

They love this hay and we use it for everything, Peabody is a digger and buncher so he likes a lot of hay on top of his rug to play with.

Latest posts

Back