Fecal pellets like sawdust

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeldatd

Reaction score
For the last few weeks, one of my buns has been producing really loose poop (these are fecal pellets, not his cecotropes) along with his regular, perfectly shaped poops. These poops seem to immediately fall apart into sawdust (though their content seems normal—bits of hay, etc.—no mucus, no smell) and I’ve even caught him eating one of them. He’s been to the vet, who said everything seems fine—did not think a fecal float was necessary. His regular diet is approx a cup of greens a day (mix of celery, cilantro, romaine, red leaf, occasional parsley) with limitless hay (right now, Rabbit Hole Hay medium timothy and orchard grass and also Fay’s Pet Hay 3rd cutting timothy/orchard/clover mix). He gets approx 1/8 cup Science Selective House Rabbit pellets every night and willow leaves as treats.

Anyone else experienced this? I would be grateful for any recommendations or advice. Thanks!

Is the hay really coarse, does he eat a lot of the willow leaves, or any branches or other coarse roughage? Any diet changes just previous to this happening? Any reoccurring digestive or other health issues going on?

Back