FAT

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lanna21974 wrote:
bunnylover78642 wrote:
Please don't post that he is not a purebred I already havehim registered.
According to ARBA (American Rabbit Breeders Association), theorganization that registers rabbits...excerpt from Official Guide BookRaising Better Rabbits and Cavies issued upon joining ARBA.

3. The animal to be registered must beATLEAST SIX MONTHS OF AGEand meet all seniorrequirements for its specific breed.

Lanna
This is absolutely correct, an ARBA registar may not register arabbit that is not over 6 months old, this mini rex is said to be 4months old. They could lose their lisence if they did so.

One fact about mini rex that hasn't been brought up here is thedwarfing gene. If this rabbit is lacking that gene, it could very wellgo over the weight requirement for mini rex, which is 4 1/2 pounds,max. This does not mean the rabbit is not a pure bred mini rex, justthat it is lacking the dwarfing gene. By 6 months of age,hewould most likely be to big to register. I have often seen dwarfs go aslarge as 3 1/2 to 4 pounds and the limit on them is 2 1/2, so a 7 poundmini rex wouldn't be out of the question.

Suzy

WOW! now see, Suzy, I never thought of a mini-rexlacking the dwarfing gene. Is it a recessive gene? This isquite interesting to me since I have one and he's on the small end ofnormal. (3.5 pounds @ 9 mos roughly)

I didn't actually realize that they could lack that gene..... I guess I didn't really think of it is why. :?

note to bunnylover: see all of us are learning!

WOW! so if you end up with a non-dwarf-gened (okI just worded it as best I could lol) is it then a standard or a mixbreed? or just simply isn't a good show or breeder rabbit?

So very interesting!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
WOW! now see, Suzy, I never thought of a mini-rex lackingthe dwarfing gene. Is it a recessive gene? This is quiteinteresting to me since I have one and he's on the small end of normal.(3.5 pounds @ 9 mos roughly)

I didn't actually realize that they could lack that gene..... I guess I didn't really think of it is why. :?

note to bunnylover: see all of us are learning!

I actually had a 6-lb. pedigreed mini rex (name of Prince Charming andlooked like Mr. Licks). He was not overly fat, just stocky and firm asmini-rexes tend to be.....anyway, the breeder told me 4 lbs. Surprise!

I can't remember how big he was at 4 mo. though!

Same with Izzy, my Hol. 6.5 lbs!! I asked Pam about that once and she explained about the double-normal gene.

Rose

lanna21974 wrote:
2. The animal must possess a three-generation pedigree showing pure breeding.

Lanna

I thought Pam said they just had to meet breed requirements....have therules changed really recently, or have I got that all mixed up?:p

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
lanna21974 wrote:
2. The animal must possess a three-generation pedigree showing pure breeding.

Lanna

I thought Pam said they just had to meet breed requirements....have therules changed really recently, or have I got that all mixed up?:p

Rose
They must be purebred to be registered. They do not have to be purebred to be shown, just represent a breed.

~Nichole

SLRabbits wrote:
They must be purebred to be registered. They do not have to be purebred to be shown, just represent a breed.

~Nichole

Gotcha! Thanks much!!:DThat clears things up.

Rose

WOW this is all very fascinating.

rabbitgirl, full grown I can see a bunny being a bit larger thanstandard. I know of a Holland Lop who is 6.5 lbs orso. He's not fat, just a big guy. Just like peopleI guess. We are all different sizes......

but a 4 mos old 7 lb mini-rex throws me..... that's like a 30 lb newborn baby! lol.

I guess we will all find out as bunnylover is going to get his lengthand she might have a bad scale ( i don't know what kind but I know thepeople scales that are not digital aren't very accurate)....

lanna, a large mini-rex with a larger rex to bring down size..... makessense. Interesting again..... I just never did study thewhole "breeding" thing....

lanna21974 wrote:
BBB...I have no clue. LOL I would think, honestly, that a mini rex notcarrying the dwarf gene would work VERY well in a rex breeding programif you were trying to get the weights down. Say you had a lotofStandard Rex on the large side. I'm not sure you couldregister these animals since youre mixing two differentkindsof rexes....but you could DEFINITELY show them.

I know a satin breeder and ARBA judge that raises satins and actuallyused mini rex to createa "Mini Satin." I got to see them nottoo long ago. He's showing them at a show soon. Should be interesting.

Lanna

Hmmmm...well, all you'd have to do then is some line breeding. Itwouldn't take long to get a third generation. That's what is fun aboutrabbits.:p

I was thinking about this whole thing with the Flemish/Palominocombination when my Pal litter started coming up with Flemishcharacteristics...must have been somewhere back there!

Really? so what did you do? change the "breeders"to get the flemish characteristics out and more PAL in? (me, i have ahard time seeing the difference in them lol)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
WOW this is all very fascinating.

rabbitgirl, full grown I can see a bunny being a bit larger thanstandard. I know of a Holland Lop who is 6.5 lbs orso. He's not fat, just a big guy. Just like peopleI guess. We are all different sizes......

but a 4 mos old 7 lb mini-rex throws me..... that's like a 30 lb newborn baby! lol.

hehe

What a scary thought!!!

It's so hard for me to tell age on mini-rexes--they all have thatpeculiar young-old look that's so adorable....so hard to describe!

Rose

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Really? so what did you do? change the "breeders" to get theflemish characteristics out and more PAL in? (me, i have a hard timeseeing the difference in them lol)

I didn't do anything, actually, since I stopped with that litter fornow. But apparently some past breeder wanted bigger Pals!!! Seriously,if I wanted to get closer to breed standard, I would do a linebreedingwith Bub, who meets breed standard, and a closely related doe who wasalso standard.

Basically, you've got the idea!

Rose

P.S. if you want to hear something REALLY weird....the breeder and Iare guessing (given the limited area stock)that Bunbun could,at 8.5 yrs., have been his "girl" Tank'sgreat....great....great...great grandfather or uncle or something.lololololol

So in the words of that weird oldsong, young Bub couldsing "I am my own Grandpa!" (lol, look it up online, it's hilarious).

:) Glad to hear that you and Bo are getting along right about now :)
While I was reading back at the first page posts I got scared. xD

Leo does look alittle bit chunky, but I dont consider him fat. :)
..ehh I have a mini-rex too. Of course her name is Emmy *points to avatar*
hehe. Um..I gota question. Do you mind if I ask a few questions on your board? :D
-----------------------

I'm not sure if Emmy's overweight or should I say "fat". I don't know if its her fur that sticks out..or if its just her.

Daily feedings.

Morning -- In the morning we always give Emmy a fresh new bottle ofwater. 2 leafs of Lettuce that are cut up, and her Nutri-grain that is1/3 cup that we pour into her food bowl. { If we dont havelettuce then we just give her hay that fills her bowl up }

When we get home from school, there is nomore lettuce but still some ofher Nutri-grain food. And then by night time everythings all finishedup. :)

»»» Is this the amout of food that I should begiving Emmy? If not..then that explains why she looks alittleoverweight. I have no clue how much she weighs because we dont have ascale at our house at all. :X
------------------

Sorry that I took over for alittle while. I hope it didn't bother you. :(I just had to get this off my chest. *sigh*

nope, "mediums" technically are the breeds thatweigh 7-11 lbs!;) MRexes are the largest breed that carriesthe dwarf gene. they just have that rex head that throwspeople off.

Emmy looks perfect from what I haveseen. Mini-rex seem to have a "full" middle that makes themhard to guess their weight. The thing about Leo is his"chest" and "shoulder" area looks hefty to us in that photo.

pamnock has always said you shouldn't feel their spine easily, but feelit by pressing down gently. Also, if there are overhangingfleshy areas around the shoulders and hips I think she said.

Honestly, tho, I really don't think Emmy is overweight. Youare feeding her less than I feed Bo and she's not even eating itall.

I know what you mean about the "hair sticking out" tho.... it's hard totell if it's a ruffle of hair or fat LOL! Those silly bunnies! I sawthe "breed" photos on sites and wondered why breeders wanted themini-rex so fat! :shock:(THIS IS NOT BO! lol)

mrex.jpg

What an interesting topic - it keeps running andrunning. I hope Bunnylover gets all the answers she needswhen the measurements are in.

Well handles Bo by the way!:)

Latest posts

Back