fat rabbit? need advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieRae

Reaction score
I have a doe with 3.5 week old kits. She has a big ole fat belly, but i can very easily feel all her ribs, spine and hip bones, they feel sharp. So when I refer to the rabbit weight chart with the 1-5 scale; very thin-obese, i'm not sure where she falls. I'd say she's a 2, but has a big round belly. Should I be concerned about her? I spoke to a vet about her and she had me put her on the same pellets the kits are eating, unlimited, BOSS & oatmeal. She also gets daily greens. (She of course gets unlimited grass hay & water) The vet didn't seem concerned. But I am. My other doe that has 2.5 week old kits does not have the same feel or appearance.

Your doe - as long as she’s nursing - needs extra protein, but maybe she’s getting too much BOSS and oatmeal? How much and how often is she getting them?

I give 1 tablespoon of BOSS 2x a week and 1/4 cup of oatmeal 2-3x a week.

Okay, the boss is probably okay but you should probably cut back on the oatmeal. We would top off our nursing does’ pellets with rolled oats or boss, but that’s quite a bit of oatmeal. I would start reducing both the frequency and the amount. What breed is she?

Back