fat rabbit? need advice

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

CharlieRae

Reaction score
I have a doe with 3.5 week old kits. She has a big ole fat belly, but i can very easily feel all her ribs, spine and hip bones, they feel sharp. So when I refer to the rabbit weight chart with the 1-5 scale; very thin-obese, i'm not sure where she falls. I'd say she's a 2, but has a big round belly. Should I be concerned about her? I spoke to a vet about her and she had me put her on the same pellets the kits are eating, unlimited, BOSS & oatmeal. She also gets daily greens. (She of course gets unlimited grass hay & water) The vet didn't seem concerned. But I am. My other doe that has 2.5 week old kits does not have the same feel or appearance.

majorv

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your doe - as long as she’s nursing - needs extra protein, but maybe she’s getting too much BOSS and oatmeal? How much and how often is she getting them?

CharlieRae

Reaction score
I give 1 tablespoon of BOSS 2x a week and 1/4 cup of oatmeal 2-3x a week.

majorv

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, the boss is probably okay but you should probably cut back on the oatmeal. We would top off our nursing does’ pellets with rolled oats or boss, but that’s quite a bit of oatmeal. I would start reducing both the frequency and the amount. What breed is she?

Latest posts