Farm Shows

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clevername

Reaction score
So the Penn State Farm show is coming up and I was looking into entering. Its the first time we've shown in a farm show so I've been reading up on the catalog.

The gist of it is that its a one day show, but if your rabbit places they stay on with the show as part of the display for about a week or so. It says there will be people there to clean the cages but I don't know about feeding.

Now I know there is always a risk anytime you show a rabbit. Its just the idea of leaving my bunnies for an entire week in a strange place that bothers me.

I'm sure there are breeders on here who do this all the time.What are the risks? Am I being overprotective?

The experience can be very stressful for the rabbit. If you are not a competitive show person, I wouldn't take the risk with a rabbit that is not used to that type of "life style".

Pam

:yeahthat: And it may be very stressful on you as well. Unless you and the rabbit are used to it, I wouldn't do it with your rabbit... and no, you're not being OVER protective.... just protective, which you should be.

Thanks guys, that's all I needed to hear.:)

I may still enter a couple juniors that I'm pretty sure won't place just to get body comments.

What can I do? There are no other shows in January, I need to get my show bunny fix.:p

How close is Lebanon PA to you? There is a HUGE show (Pa State Convention) the weekend of February 6 and 7. Might be fun to go there. It's a lot of fun, and if you aren't too far away, you can show both days without cooping. (I think last year they a had something like 11,000+ entries over the two days.)

BlueGiants wrote:
How close is Lebanon PA to you? There is a HUGE show (Pa State Convention) the weekend of February 6 and 7. Might be fun to go there. It's a lot of fun, and if you aren't too far away, you can show both days without cooping. (I think last year they a had something like 11,000+ entries over the two days.)

Oh, I'm definitely going to that one. I'm bringing my silver fox too!:biggrin2: It'll be nice to finally have some competition.

I took another look at the ARBA site...looks like there's a January show in Rochester I could go to instead....its just a very long trip. I'll have to talking things over with the hubby.

I think I'm bringing my 2 Silver Fox girls too! (Ummm.... and a couple of Mini Rex and a bunch of Flemish! LOL!) I'm really looking forward to going!!!

If I were you I would go and just not let them take your rabbits for that. Afterall it is your decision. You defiently are not being overprotective. If I went to that show and one of my buns won, I would not let them go, unless I could too maybe. Wouldn't that be a lot of rabbits going, if they all placed that could be hundreds of rabbits.

I have never heard of something like that before.... how odd and scary really.

If you enter your rabbit, you agree to abide by the rules of the show. And if the show requires that winners remain for the duration of the fair, you are bound to do that. If you pull your rabbit, they may have the right to rescind all awards. (That would hurt if your rabbit wins something like a Best of Breed or Reserve in show.)

If you don't want to follow the rules of the show, you just don't show. It's your choice.

I agree with BlueGiants.

Once you enter your rabbit, and if they win, you could loose all points/premiums/ribbons if you pull your rabbit out. Those are the same rules at my fair; your rabbit(s) must be there the entire duration of fair, and they can only go home at a certain time the last day.

I would say you're being a little overprotective, but not a whole bunch. Just go and check on your bunnies every single day and make sure they have food, water, clean area, are feeling alright, etc.

I dont mean to scare you by saying this (and I'm assuming you've never gone to a fair type show before, where the bunnies stay for at least a week...) but I've only ever known of two incidents where rabbits were stolen from their cages.

One happened last year at my State Fair. The rabbit was stolen right out of his cage. My friend last year at county fair, her rabbit got out of his cage and ran away....:(

Just telling you some "risks" but these are very uncommon, moreless the rabbit escaping from his/her cage, than the other one at least.

Emily

ROFLOL - "Escaping" happened at Lionhead Nationals too in 2006 - as it tends to happen every year.

They had a row of cages up in the front that they called the "jail" and the bunnies waited in those cages till their owners claimed them.

It was sorta funny....

Yea I think I'm gonna skip this showing. I thought since I had a mess of angora juniors who are still in baby coat I could get away with showing them just for body comments. Their baby coats usual keep them from placing any higher than best junior at their age.(which wouldn't have held them for display)

But the "what if" factor is just too great here. I think I'll hold on this one and try to convince my husband to take the trip up to Rochester with me the week before hand.

Our 4-H rabbit club uses cable ties on the rabbit cages for the entire week of the fair, and actually postsguards (parent volunteers) in the rabbit barns, day and night. We had several cases of theft a couple of years ago, so the leaders just made a commitment to have the best security possible.

TinysMom wrote:
ROFLOL - "Escaping" happened at Lionhead Nationals too in 2006 - as it tends to happen every year.

They had a row of cages up in the front that they called the "jail" and the bunnies waited in those cages till their owners claimed them.

It was sorta funny....

Lol. "Jail" i like that lol.

I love watching all the escapees on the actual show table! lol. Especially when they have EL's in the smaller breed cages! All of the EL's remind me of puppies!! lol.

clevername wrote:
Yea I think I'm gonna skip this showing. I thought since I had a mess of angora juniors who are still in baby coat I could get away with showing them just for body comments. Their baby coats usual keep them from placing any higher than best junior at their age.(which wouldn't have held them for display)

But the "what if" factor is just too great here. I think I'll hold on this one and try to convince my husband to take the trip up to Rochester with me the week before hand.

Lol. when I read the "Rochester" part, i thought you meant over here! I live in Rochester....hehe. But in Washington State....;)

Emily

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
Lol. when I read the "Rochester" part, i thought you meant over here! I live in Rochester....hehe. But in Washington State....;)

Emily
Hah ahahaha... Yea I meant New York. I have to remember to be more specific on here.

clevername wrote:
BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:

Emily
Hah ahahaha... Yea I meant New York. I have to remember to be more specific on here.

Lol I kinda figured that much. ahh no problem. lol. There's just too many towns with the same name! lol.

Emily

Latest posts

Back