Family on Facebook

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slavetoabunny

Reaction score
I was just wondering how many people friend their family members on Facebook? My mother just got on Facebook and wanted to friend me. I really couldn't refuse. It's not that I post anything I wouldn't want her to read. It's just that anytime she sees me online she wants to chat. I don't always have time for this. Most times during the day I take mini-breaks and just check out my websites quickly and go back to work. I love my mom dearly, but I can see this getting out of hand.

You can turn FB chat off. Click on the chat tab at the bottom then on the Options button. There is a spot to click to go offline. You can also create lists and set it so you don't show up to those people. If you want to talk later, you can switch back to online.

I do have some family on Facebook, but they are mostly aunts and uncles. My mom isn't on Facebook and my brother doesn't chat with me.

I have a lot of family on my facebook...

Do you know where's a bottom on the chat that you can click on for offline chat, You are still on but its shows you are offline.

Thanks! I will have to check this out. Do you know that if I have chat turned off, if I can still be seen as being online? I don't want mom to think I am ignoring her.

I don't think you appear as online if you have chat turned off. I know I have some friends that turn chat off and they don't appear as online even though I know they are.

My mum doesn't have Facebook, thankfully. I wouldn't accept her if she did haha.
I have my sisters and brother as friends, but actually have it set so that they can't see my pictures or my wall. My uncle sent me a request, I haven't accepted it though, I just think it's a bit weird.

My mom has facebook and I added her but its super annoying. She got mad at my brother who refused to add her and then shen he finally did he had her on restrictions(can't see basically anything on his profile) which made her even more offended. I added her because i didn't want to have a problem but I find it super annoying that she comments on pretty much everything I put on facebook. When I tried restricting her view she asked me why she wasn't seeing any of my stuff on her newsfeed anymore. So irritating. Its not like I have bad stuff on my facebook that I don't want my mom seeing. I just really dont' want my mom commenting on EVERYTHING i have on my wall.

I do have other family on my facebook. Most are cousins and my brother and sister. I did feel kind of bad once because I defriended my Aunt who I dont' really like and then about 6 months later I get a new friend request. I guess she figured out I deleted her, lol.

But for parents I think its best to accept them and have them on restrictions. I love my mom to pieces but she doesn't understand that I dont' want to chat every time I'm on or have her be the first to comment on everything.

I have some cousins, an aunt, and an uncle and a brother and sister. It depends on who in my family wants to add me whether I will accept them or not. My Aunt's weird Husband tried to add me but I didn't accept, because I know when I get tagged in pictures or someone posted stuff on my wall he'd be quizzing me about it and asking my parent's about it. Me and my friend's can be kind of crazy so I don't want him to see the stuff on my FB. The family I add are young and crazy themselves so I don't mind them being my friend on it.

I do add family, but my mom is not on. I think she would cause issues because she can be a bit controlling.

My issue is with a coworker that basically pestered me into adding him. After a while I defriended him because I just think it's an invasion of privacy. He asked where I went. I just shrugged and said it must be a FB glitch, I didn't do anything. I was sure I would show up again. The subject has dropped.

Lol I have a huge family and we are all incredibly close. I have lots of them on fb, but don't really use it as a means of chat because I normally chat on the phone to my sister every day or so, and I chat to my mum all day by texts, and the occasional text chat/ring when my dad is free.
I also have ebuddy on my phone so I am usually constantly logged into FB and MSN so I can easily talk to people all day on my phone.
I did warn my Mum that my language is not the best and she know this, and so on fb if theres something she doesn't want to see then she just shouldn't look at it, and we kind of have a mutual understanding that she just ignores anything she doesn't want to see, but she is pretty cool about most things. She's more my mate, so it doesn't really matter what I post.
I couldn't go a day without talking to my mum or my sister!! And I really do miss my dad when he is working lots but we do manage to catch up every week or so.

Patti- if you are 'offline' noone can see you are online. However if you post on a wall or something, your mum may be able to see this and realise you are appearing offline, because you are posting.
HOWEVER
what you can do, is make a separate chat list. I never knew this. What you do is go to chat and friend list (I believe) and you can put your mother in her own little group and always appear offline to her, until you choose to appear online to her.

:)

Jen

I am friends with both my parents and my brother, my grandparents, my uncles and aunts, my cousins etc.. even my step-moms family and many of my custamers from work lol I dont think its weird at all. as for chat, I keep mine turned off, and no more problem :p

should mention I have no family issues, the only ones who really comment on anything are my dad, and my one aunt and uncle lol

I've been on FB for a couple of weeks now but I don't chat. There are lots of friends and family that I accepted, but I am selective on who I accept. I do restrict some info and pictures for family only.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
I've been on FB for a couple of weeks now but I don't chat. There are lots of friends and family that I accepted, but I am selective on who I accept. I do restrict some info and pictures for family only.
I am that way also. I tend to only accept people I know personally or have gotten close to from various places. That's why I don't give out my facebook information....plus I do a lot of games on facebook and I know the notifications can bug people.

I do have some of Art's family on Facebook - but only a couple.

TinysMom wrote:
Pet_Bunny wrote:
I am that way also. I tend to only accept people I know personally or have gotten close to from various places. That's why I don't give out my facebook information....plus I do a lot of games on facebook and I know the notifications can bug people.

I do have some of Art's family on Facebook - but only a couple

Same here Peg. I don't play any games and do hide them, so I'm not bugged by notifications. My mother is a very needy person and I'm dreading her bugging me. I rarely ever chat, but hate to turn it off.

I have a ton of family on Facebook. But I would NEVER friend them. It's mostly the snobby, wealthy side of my family that's on FB, so i dont want to add them. The ony family I Friended are my sister, her fiance, and 5 of my close cousins.

I also have my own rule of not Friending co-workers.

Back