False Pregnancy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaileysMom

Reaction score
If it isn't one thing it's another, we woke up this morning to Little Lady building a nest

in her litter box with a ton of her hair. I am saying / hoping it's a false pregnancy because #1 the only male she has been around was Oreo, and he was fixed March 17th, and #2 I didn't even get Little Lady till March 24th and there is NO way in that time frame that she could be having a litter, don't they start the hair pulling a day or two before they deliver? And the lady I got her from had them in seperate cages in a barn so I don't think it's possible that she got pregnant BEFORE I got her either. Her tempermant hasn't changed like I've read some do, she still lets us put our hands in the cage and pet her and everything we just woke up to a LOT of hair in her litter box. She is scheduled to be spayed this coming Thursday the 21st, so do I wait and see, or do I now have to cancel the appt. and wait?

I think these rabbits like to keep us on our toes.

Males can still be fertile up to 6 weeks after being neutered. If she has been out with him, then there is a good chance she is pregnant.

Females can pull fur at just about any time during the pregnancy. Some will make a nest early on and have to make another one later while others will do it a few days before and some will not make one until the kits are born.

You should get her checked at the vet for pregnancy. You can then decide how to proceed from there. If she had to get pregnant since you got her, the kits would not be due until about the 25th. However, it could be later if they have been together at a later time.
If you do decide to go through with the spay, keep in mind that it could end up being an abortation of a litter which does mean it could also be a bit more expensive and risky.

I don't foresee her getting pregnant since being here, I knew the males could be fertile for a while after getting neutered, at first they were not around each other at all, and then I let them out together only during supervised exercise time and in fact she was very diligent about not even letting him do anything she would jump away or when she had enough of him trying she would nip him and hop away.
She hasn't been in her litter/box "nest" all day, it seems that she made it and now is completely ignoring it. Hopefully it's just a fake pregnancy.

I was thinking about it and I just changed her litterbox litter yesterday to wood pellets, I wonder if that could have anything to do with it? So I emptied her litter box and put the old stuff I was using in it to see if she tries to build one again, right now she doesn't seem to care.

Well she ignored it all day, but then tonight she was peeing in her cage and not in her litter box because she started using her litter box as a nest again, so I cleaned the bottom of the cage out and put a box in there w/ that soft litter stuff for her nest box and put some of the hair she pulled out in there and she is already claiming it as her nest, so I don't know if she is actually pregnant or not, if she has babies anytime before the 24th or actually even a little after that, then she was pregnant when I got her. Because I didn't get her till the 24th of March and it was probably a week after that before I even attempted to let her be around Oreo, but I really don't think Oreo impregnated her because I kept a close eye on them.

Latest posts

Back