Faking Scientific Research

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamnock

Reaction score
"In 1974, Dr. William Summerlin, a top-rankingSloan-Kettering Cancer Institute researcher, used a marker to makeblack patches of fur on white mice in an attempt to prove his new skingraft technique was working."

See entire news article here: http://tinyurl.com/d9aeu

Pam theKink came up in black andisnt clickable lol . going tocheck it out now . Painting mice to provea point how sad .

pamnock wrote:
Hi Gypsy,

Copy and paste the url into the address bar to go to the site (or type it in).

Pam

Fascinating. I am a research and assessment supervisor for agovernment agency. 3 and 1/2 years ago I had an employee whowas faking her research. Her prior supervisor was afraid ofconfrontation and did nothing even though the signs of faking wereevident. I had the job of back tracking almost 2 years of herwork. It too 4 of us 3 monthsof hard work todiscover the extent of her fraud.

She was immediately removed from the job by the Highway Patrol, firedand prosecuted. She jeopardized literally millions of dollarsin funding to our agency. Her actions caused asevere loss of faith from some of the agencies we serve. Ittook2 more years of hard work to gain the trustagain. Our job is very stressful and her actions caused analmost intolerable level of stress for the other researchers.The lives and careers of countless people were jeopardized.

All of could it have been prevented had her first supervisor done herjob properly. She was also fired for failing to follow agencyprotocals on internal control and responsibility. I do notfeel sorry for either person. They were paid well to a job ndthey cheated.

:disgust: That's dispicable! :growl:

I hope he doesn't get just a smack on the hands for this.

-Carolyn

Hi all, I just read ythe article, and it reallyupsets me. I am an animal activist with PETA and I have attended aswell as organized demonstrations against labs that do exactly this sortof thing. These poor creatures are kept in tiny cages and virtuallytortured for their entire lives in the name of medial research. It isdespicable that someone would waste the life of one creature and causeseveral more to suffer because of her laziness!

I should clarify - In my research and assessmentposition we are looking at federal and state laws as they relate tolong term care forseniors and disabled peopleandthe funding mechanisms. We deal with federal, state laws,their interpretation and implementation by our 88 counties.We do a lot of statistical data analysis. We don't in anyway, shape or form do animal research.In mydistrict we also look at hunger prevention programs primarily inAppalachian counties. I thought I may have createdsome confusion. Sorry if I did.

Hi,tayasgram , about 3 years ago, I had an aquaintance who purchased 2English Angoras from a pet store. One was a white doe and the other wasa tort doe. This person with the angoras was sympathetic to PETA , butnot actively involved with said organization. To make a long storyshort, she was unable to keep up with the brushing, and ended up givingthem their "freedom", by leaving them in the middle of a large field ona farmer's land. When I heard about this , I really did not want to bearound her anymore...but I did get her number and call her ,once.

She was rather sad aboutit, but said that they were better off. I didn't wish to argue my side,but I pointed out to her that they'd probably not last the night. Shestuck by her guns and would'nt go get them, so I was able to get her totell me where she left them.

At least it ended o.k., Icalled the farmer and got his son on the line ; they had justbaled the hay 2 days previously,and said I could come andlook for the bunnies.

It took half the morning,but I located them behind a large round bale; just sitting there--theyactually hopped over to me.

The pet store gave metheir breeder's name, and I called her and gave her a description andthe E. angoras ear numbers. So I was able to return them to thebreeder,who was glad to get them back.

Sorry this was so long,but I'm wondering if PETA actually encourages rabbits to be let loose? The only things I know about PETA are news articles--someagainst. However , I don't support anyanimal cruelty--and feel that those who mistreat animals should'nt beallowed to own them.

My house rabbits arepampered and protected from predators....they seem happy andwell-adjusted. To be honest, I'd never let them loose "in the wild";I'd feel it was not responsible. I admit I don't knoweverything :p, though , and I do not mind beingcorrected --especially if it improves my bunnies lives!:D:D:D

KadishTolesa:purplepansy::purplepansy::purplepansy:

Interesting point that you've brought upKadish. I've found that many animal "rights" PETAsympathizers actually knowsurprisingly little aboutanimals. It seems to be more about a power trip thancompassion.

Pam

How sad howsome ones misguided way ofthinking could have turned out ,

Domestic animals shouldnt bereleased into the wilds to fend forthemselves how stupid of anyone toeven think for a minute theywould know how to survive .

Hi all, Just to clarify, we at PETA do not lookdown upon people that have pets. Most of us have several. As far asfreeing them, we all realize that this cannot be done. Nobody shouldEVER take a domesticated animal and leave it outdoors to fend foritself. What we do is to fight for animal rights. We try to stop theneedless torture of factory farm animals, circus animals, and animalsused in entertainment or medical research.All we ever ask isthat these places comply with the animal welfare guidelines. You mightbe confusing PETA with those groups that storm into labs and releaseall the animals. Those poor creatures go from bad to worse. PETA isvery much OK with pets.

Peggy Ervin

"Pet ownership is an absolutely abysmal situation brought on by human
manipulation."
Ingrid Newkirk - Founder, PETA
Washington Magazine, August 1986

"One day we would like an end to pet shops and the breeding of animals.
(Dogs) would pursue their natural lives in the wild...They would have full
lives, not waiting at home for someone to come home in the evening and pet
them and then sit there and watch TV."

"...Eventually companion animals would be phased out, and we would return
to a more symbiotic relationship, enjoyment at a distance."
Harpers, August, 1988

"In a perfect world, all other than human animals would be free of human
interference, dogs and cats would part of the ecological scheme."
PETA's Statement on Companion Animals

[ALF's activities] comprise an important part
of today's animal protection movement."
PETA statement - June 19, 1991

ALEX PACHECO, CHAIRMAN, PEOPLE FOR THE ETHICAL TREATMENT
OF ANIMALS (PETA)

"Arson, property destruction, burglary and theft are 'acceptable crimes' when used for the animal cause."
(Gazette Mail, Charleston, WV, January 15, 1989)

~~~~~~~~~~

When asked which he would save, a dog or a baby, if a boat capsized in the
ocean: "If it were a retarded baby and a bright dog, I'd save the dog."
Tom Regan
North Carolina State University
Q & A session following speech
"Animal Rights, Human Wrongs"
U of Wisconsin-Madison
Oct. 27, 1989

Greetings, :)

I'd just like to interject for a moment to reiterate that this forum isopen and welcome to All Rabbit Fanciers and people wanting to learn.

We are grateful to have meat breeders, show breeders, pet owners, rescuers, and others that are thinking about adopting rabbits.

We are here to learn all that we can from each other; and we do learn alot - from conception to geriatric rabbits, we are here to teach andlearn.

Those who haven't read our Mission Statement, please do. You can find it in the "Top Picks" stickied at the top of this forum.

Enjoy. :)

-Carolyn

Pam you should really have your own blog, book,library or something youprovide such a wealth of informationon a constant basis! I am always fascinated by your posts!

FreddysMom wrote:
Pam you should really have your own blog, book, library orsomething youprovide such a wealth of information on aconstant basis! I am always fascinated by your posts!

Right I do honestly believewith out Pam we wouldall be floundering in a bad caseof " where the heck dowe find such information , "Pam always comes thru for us .

gypsy wrote:
FreddysMom wrote:
Pam youshould really have your own blog, book, library or somethingyouprovide such a wealth of information on a constant basis!I am always fascinated by your posts!

Right I do honestly believewith out Pam we wouldall be floundering in a bad caseof " where the heck dowe find such information , "Pam always comes thru for us .

Amen! :highfive:

-Carolyn

PAM! Wonderful information!Please don't be mad at me for saying that the founder of PETA, Ingridis an IDIOT!! My GAWD!

And Carolyn, regarding what rabbits-only is about, well said as always! Hugs all around! Krick

Latest posts

Back