Facebook?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBoyHarper

Reaction score
Anyone here use "Facebook"? I just discoveredit.... yesterday. My math class ended yesterday and I had made friendswith a few people and we didn't want to lose touch. So they mentionedafter class about me adding them to Facebook, so I signed up. Prettycool. Anyone else here use it?

Okay wow, I'm going to rant now. Firstoff, realize I'm a high school junior in an all girls, catholic,LAhigh school.

Now, I don't have a facebook or a myspace, I don't really have a needfor one, but many people at my school do. Last year there wasa bit of a myspace issue, and this year it was time forfacebook. I guess there's something where you join in groupsunder your school name, so that's what the school is mad about, therepresentation they're creating for their school.

People (mostly juniors) were being called into the dean's office andour counselor's office to address pictures and comments onfacebook. I heard they had to do with "inappropriate attire,"smoking, and drinking. In theology, we had a big debate aboutit, with it basically being me against the other 20 girls in theclass. Everyone else says the school should stay out of theiroutside of school life. I feel like 16 and 17 year oldsposting pictures of themselves on the internet are just stupid, so Ihad to mention,

"Anytime you associate yourself with a group, you create a stereotypefor that group (in otherwords, they're creating a stereotype thatapplies to me). I realize that this is the point where yourparents should get involved, not the school, and that you're trying tomake your parents proud, not the school, but, honestly, I'm disturbedthat I have classmates that will go to and dress up for a party with atheme of "pimps and ho's" an think that that is okay, and I don't seehow you're making your parents proud, are these the kinds of picturesthat your parents want to hang up in their office and show to all theirfriends?"

I think my theology teacher has a newfound respect for me, but the restof that class wasn't too happy with me. That was really hard,but I'm finally just fed up with them.

The girls involved have to attend a slideshow of the pictures, withtheir parents, as their punishment. I hate how they justthink it's funny and a joke, and they're messing up their lives, oneparty at a time.

Well, if its an issue of kids postinginnapropriate pics on a website, I do agree. I have seen some of thestuff kids post on myspace, and I have to say its pretty bad.

However, I think it should be up to that kids parents, and not theschool, to punish them. I think that if a teacher comes acrosssomething like that, they should inform the kids parents. I really dontthink the school should be punishing someone for something they dothats totally unrelated to school, ya know?! And your rightabout students representing their school, but the principal cant followthem around on weekends to be sure they are behaving properly...sowhether its posted on the net or not theyre still setting a bad examplefor the school, but I still think its up to the parents to police theirkids.

Just my 2 cents. Anyway, I love facebook and I think its a great way for people to stay in touch!

I agree Missy about some of the things posted onmyspace (which I do not, and will never have, an account with), andeven on facebook. Some of it is disgusting. So far I like Facebookthough, and the only groups I'm apart of are Animal Rights groups, afew christian and catholic groups, and some for family guy, will andgrace, and king of the hill shows.I'm still adjusting tocollege life, so it's a good way to let me keep in touch with the newpeople I've met in class without actually calling them on thephone(since I am super shy).

I know what you mean about the phone.I basically keep in touch with my friends through aim, and through thee-mail accounts my school gives us. I hate talking on thephone. I get all flustered, then there's akward silence, it'sjust bad.

so how many hours have you wasted now that you have facebook? he he

Yeah I might kida be sligltly addicted to it. (Is "Stalking" people of facebook a bad thing?)

I'd like to know how many parents are aware thattheir teens have these pages, and are they aware what theirteens have on these pages?

Pam

pamnock wrote:
I'dlike to know how many parents are aware that their teens have thesepages, and are they aware what their teens have on these pages?

Pam

Not enough. Most parents seem to have no idea what their kidsare doing. That is, if they know enough to be able tonavigate the computer themselves.

Of course, with my school, considering the price, you can assume thatmost of these parents are more concerned with making money than withwhat their kids are doing, it's the sad truth.

pamnock wrote:
I'dlike to know how many parents are aware that their teens have thesepages, and are they aware what their teens have on these pages?

Pam
No clue, however I'm 22, so I'm probably bordering "too old for facebook" age.

I guess I'm old fashioned. My kids(boys ages 15, 14 and 12) are not allowed on the internet unless theirfather or I is in the room. I drive aschool bus and I see kids as young as 10y/o who getting off the bus areyelling..."cya in aim/msn/yahoo/myspace, etc" I just wonderwhat these parents are thinking. Granted like Isaid I am old fashioned and I homeschool so maybe I'm just different,but kids can get into enough trouble without adding the endless worldof the internet into their realm.

auccy I think facebooks was inteded to be athing for collage students orginaly as you had to have a collage emailadress to register.

loplover wrote:
auccy I think facebooks was inteded to be a thing forcollage students orginaly as you had to have a collage email adress toregister.
That is correct. You must have a company or University address in orderto sign up for Facebook. I think highschool kids are allowed on, butthey cannot use a yahoo, hotmail, ect address.

Actually, Facebookhas opened up to pretty much everyone. Because my school e-mail addydidn't work, I used my Hotmail :)

My kids are not allowed to have anything likethat :( My daughter has one long distance friend that she metat a sugar glider gathering and she writes him through my e-mail.

I have a myspace kinda for my sugar gliders but frankly I think it's stupid.

I'm not really into these type of things, most of my friends are though.

Bebo is the big one here, my school is always giving warnings out aboutthem, they cannot be accessed on the school computers, because some ofthe things put onto them are terrible.:disgust:And they'vestarted bullying on them here too:sigh

I like the idea, but of course people have to ruin it by abusing them:rollseyes, I'm content enough with forums and email.:)

Michaela and the girls:brownbunny:brownbunny:brownbunny

Latest posts

Back